Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How friendly is your local shop?? >

How friendly is your local shop??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How friendly is your local shop??

Old 02-04-2008, 02:47 PM

Default RE: How friendly is your local shop??

I am blessed to have some very good shops in my area. They take the time to show you several different bows if you want, and set them up to fit you. Not just pull one off the rack and let you shoot it with 2 inches too much draw and more draw weight than you need or can handle.

I have one near me in Jackson MI that carries a lot of bows. They have a ton of inventory from most major companies like Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt, Darton and others. I have went in and told them up front I was not buying anything, just looking around and I might get something 6 months down the road or so, but for now I was just comparing different bows. They spent well over an hour letting me shoot several bows ranging from $300 to over a thousand, even though I told them I was not going to spend any where near that. And I have done this on several occasions over the years. I ended up getting my Mighty Might there.

We have another shop near me in Swanton Ohio were I took my girlfriend to get her bow. They tend to have target models in stock which is why I took her there. They let her shoot a few different bows comparing them to her cheaper Alpine. Took the time to explain the differences to her, correct her form and let her try some different releases. After we decided what we wanted to buy ( Rintec target bow) he let her pick out what she wanted on it and explained the differences in sights, rests and releases. Then when he set it up he showed her what he was doing and why. After that they spent about an hour or more with her letting her shoot it giving her lessons on form and how to use her new back tension release.

There was another place here where I got my first darton. This little old man had an archery/bait shop and I went in to look at bows. He showed me a few and offered to let me shoot a few, but I declined because I had shot one at gander mountain and bounced the arrow off the wall to my side. He assured me this wouldn't happen with him showing me how to shoot it. He said I if I got a bow from him he would teach me how to shoot and I if I wasn't satisfied he would give me my money back. He held true to his word and spent a whole Sunday afternoon showing me how to shoot behind his shop. I was drilling a 3 inch circle at 30 yards before I left. I was impressed. After that every time me or me and one of my buddies would go in there for something, not only would he let us shoot different bows if we asked but he would ASK US if we wanted to shoot them. It was not uncommon to go in there and have him say " Guys, I got this new bow, or gizmo you have to check out! If you have a minute lets go out back and fling some arrows through it.".

You just can't beat service like that. Unfortunately he passed away. The new guy seems pretty cool as well though, but I don't make it out there very often anymore.

I have been in some shops like you are talking about though. Especially some guns shops. They just don't seem to care if they sell anything or not.

Paul
Old 02-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ahve have experience with good ones and bad ones. The last experience I can remember was when a guy tried to sell em a drop away rest and kinda snarled his nose at what I wanted (Wisker Biscuit). He kept telling me all of the flaws he found in them and why he did not shoot them. I, being the a$$ that I am gave him my opinion and told him to put the rest that I wanted on the bow.

He seemed to get a little nicer after that. I hate it when these guystry tell you what the latest and greatest things are just because they are popular right now and everyone is using them...

Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been to some good shops and some bad. The shop I go to now (French Creek Outfitters) is very good. They are an independent shop, but have very nice mounts and a very big store that has everything from paintball, to hunting, fishing, and camping. They have indoor dart ranges, a 20 yard set up range and a 35 yard 3d range upstairs, along with an indoor handgun range. The staff is very helpful in all departments and the archery staff is always very friendly. That may be because they see $$$ when I walk in, but they are still always friendly even when I'm justthere to look around.

It's kind of like a miniature Cabelas, with better customer service and the staff is more knowledgable.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My local shop is great. A man and his wife own it and work there and they both are avid hunters. They always say hello and treat me fair and right. The only thing I don't like is the owner has a VERY dry sense of humor. So when I cut up or play around with him I can't tell whether his takes it as a joke or serious. But I am always treated right no matter what.

The other shop that is north of town is crap. Those guys don't know much but they think they know it all (they sell guns and fishing tackle as well). Overpriced and rude, thats why they lost my business four years ago.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:18 PM

My shop is pretty friendly

A couple others in my area could work on it a little

The guys that run Double A Archery in Waterloo are good people
I enjoy working with them to promote archery in our area.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

My shop is real good to me, when I bought my new bow he sat on the fireing line to watch me shoot and set up my sights. They always help me out with what I need.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:27 PM

There is a place here in DE that will not be getting any of my business in the future. I am new to archery and wanted to get an old bow that was given to me set up, and he told me he didn't have the time for anyone that doesn't know what they want. He wasn't very nice to me or my wife. I would rather travel up into PA to Kinsey's Archery where they have taken care of me from day 1. It takes a little over 2 hours to get there but it's worth it. My brother and I make a day trip out of it. They even have video archery there. We love it.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Im glad Im not in the minority here. I thought that maybe Im just paranoid or it was me, but clearly, It's not, that's it, most sportinggoods stores/owners are pricks. Period, what if we all just stopped going to them and did it ourselves?? What would they do then? We all should become self sufficient...
Old 02-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends. I've got a few shops that I venture to. All I would say will give you adequate service. One is REAL "clicky" and a little brand snobbish. The other is pretty friendly but a little short inventoried. And the last one is quickly becoming my favorite hangout. Good people, good service no matter who walks thru the door.