Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bow at dealer, not my local shop >

bow at dealer, not my local shop

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow at dealer, not my local shop

Old 04-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default bow at dealer, not my local shop

here is the situation. I go to a guy down the street that handles about all my archery business. He is not however a Hoyt dealer. he deals parker and oneida. I am not looking for either of those bows as my hoyt has done nothing but exceptional work for me, and I found a bow up the street at a place that I use to go to. I know I can get the bow through my local guy, but the one up the street is a package deal (I believe it is the vtec, but don't quote me), and is %15 off. It is $500 for all. the bow itself is over $600. I am thinking of putting the bow on layaway due to lack of funds right now (just bought 20 acres in e. wv). what do you guys think?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:10 AM

Default RE: bow at dealer, not my local shop

Unless you're local guy that you do must of your business with is a real jerk, i don't think he'll hold it against you if you take advantage of such a good deal. If you want, ask him if he can match the price. If he can then of course get it from him, if not go to the dealer.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:09 AM

I wouldn't hesitate for two reasons. 1) the price is good 2) if your a loyal customer of shop one and shop one dosen't carry the bow you want then you need to do what you need to do to get the bow you want. Shop one should reconize you as a good customer and understand brand loyalty. If he give you crap guve him crap for not carring Hoyt.

I'm certain he'll understand and appreciate the bussiness you choose to give him.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:11 AM

My normal dealer is always been real great when I have been bow shoping. His rule is that he will set up anybow that you buy. There might be a small charge if you buy all your accessories from someone else or if you aren't a repeat customer but usually he is darn right reasonable. He works on Hoyt's, Mathews and Bowtechs. Heck, he works on any bow except oneida's and he is even starting to work on those now. He doesn't care. I will say that he is a Parker, Darton and Jennings dealer and always recommends trying to shoot one those bows too but it is no skin off his back if you buy from someone else, his profit margin on his bows is slim to none, he makes his money on arrows and accessories much more than bows.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Unless you're local guy that you do must of your business with is a real jerk, i don't think he'll hold it against you if you take advantage of such a good deal
He shouldnt. I know archeries who lose lots of buisness by being jerks about servicing bows they did not sell. I bought a bow back in 84 from Dallas. I lived in Lubbock and the local archery did not carry the bow I wanted. They did deal the brand , but did not have the bow I wanted in stock. To order it through them was going to cost me an extra 100 bucks, and for a poor highschool kid in the early 80s, that was a lot of money. Needless to say, I bought the bow while in Dallas. Upon getting home with it, I noticed a defect in one of the limbs. Since the local archery dealt with that brand of bow, they were held by the company to send it in for me on the warrenty. They gave me so much grief about it and drug their feet do long, that once I picked the bow up, I told them they had forever lost my buisness. It is now 05 and they still have not got a red cent of mine. Id wagger I have spent quite a bit of money throught out the years since. They wanted to cry about not making a 200 dollar sell, at the expense of thousands. Actually they went belly up a few years ago.

Sorry about the rant, just brought back bad memories. Id get the bow if I were you. If they get huffy, there are other shops. Why pay more.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

so, my next question is $500 for a combo on this bow a good or great price? (package)
Old 04-26-2005, 06:45 AM

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

so, my next question is $500 for a combo on this bow a good or great price? (package)
Hmmm, What bow did you say it was?
(I believe it is the vtec, but don't quote me)
I think based on what you're telling us it would be a good deal, but don't quote me
Old 04-26-2005, 08:25 AM

Hey some times you have to do what you have to do!! I have a shop i'm loyal to infact i'm a staff shooter and they know i will ask them for what ever i need first. if they don't have it and i need it right quick, they don't have a problem one with me getting it else where. But that problem rarely arises.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

I believe it is a vtec. I would really like this bow, but there is nothing wrong with my other hoyt, so good deal or not, I am having a hard time justifying it. and that is saying something because my bow is three years old.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Ill say it is as good of a deal as you make it. If it is what you want, with what you want on it,, then yea, its a deal. Now if you have to start replacing accessories, then no, its not. I bought an old hoyt excel about 7 years ago. I searched hard to find this original bow, because I wanted it. I had that bow in the 80s and loved it. I sold it and regreated it ever day after. I found one 7 years ago. I had to do some work to get it up to par, but love it still. I spent 200 bucks on this old bow that most would not have given a penny for. I hunt with that bow more than any other. I guess what Im saying is the value is all due to what you want.
Here is my old bow I love, and a hog I shot this year at 60 yards with it.

Most would not even hunt with this bow, but I love it.