Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Local bow shop vs. eBay >

Local bow shop vs. eBay

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Local bow shop vs. eBay

Old 01-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Local bow shop vs. eBay

What are your opinions on buying a bow online(eBay) vs buying from your local bow shop? Do you buy from your local shop no matter what? Or do you shop around for the best prices? I'm curious because I haven't bought a bow from my local shop yet, but have had lots of work done there. I have a new bow on order from there but I now found the same thing on eBay for much less.I'd like to keep mybusiness local, but saving a couple hundred $$$ on eBay sounds real good. What do you think?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Local bow shop vs. eBay

if i shot the bow before either at a shop...or a friend let me shoot it or something and i knew i liked the feel ect...then id defienently save and buy it where its cheapest.....the extra money could go towards better add ons....sights...rest..ect........
Old 01-03-2006, 12:14 AM

I bought my first bow on Ebay to save money and to make sure I'd enjoy bow hunting. It didn't take me long to know I was hooked for life, so I spent the extra money and went to a bow shop to get my new bow. I didn't exactly buy locally and did shop around the entire state to find a good deal and the bow I wanted. I don't see anything wrong with shopping on Ebay, but make sure you know what you're getting, you usually can't take it back on Ebay.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

it's cheaper buying off of ebay HOWEVER you don't know how good of shape it's in untill it's shipped to you. i mean you don't really know the person you're buying from and you don't know if they have taken good care of it. i know i would be pissed if i bought a bow off of ebay to save a couple dollars and the first time i shot it...one of the limbs broke off! i guess it's just a chance you have to weigh out.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my outback online. I rolled the dice and it paid off. Saved almost $300. Would I do it again? Probly not (unless it was through the same guy. I got mine through Archery talk.com
Old 01-03-2006, 04:36 AM

The advice already given is definately good sound advice, but here is something else to think about.

Is this a new bow or a used bow? If it is used, then you probably won't have to worry about the point I will make.

If it is a new bow, you must remember some manufacturers don't allow you the lifetime warranty on bows bought over the internet. If you do end up buying a new bow over the internet you may save money in the beginning but if something should happen to the bow (like limbs exploding, cams bending/breaking, risers bending/cracking) these expenses will have to come out of pocket.

Just something to think about, even if you decide to buy the bow over the internet and find a good deal on the used bow, in the future you may be inclined to gobackto the internet for a new bow. Just thought I would fill you in on that piece of information.

Hopefully it will help ya out.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

For used, ebay is a great way, shops don't normally sell or push used bows, however you don't get to put your hands on it first.

If you shot a bow at a shop and then bought that same bow online, you did the shop a disservice, you used thier time and expertise to setup and test it, then went elsewhere, this is just wrong.

You will pay a bit more at a shop, however you are getting more, you are getting someone to help setup the bow and make sure it fits you. Many first time bow owners are way overbowed, both length and weight, a good shop is priceless in getting this right.

A first time bowowner has little idea of how to setup and tune the bow, a bow shop will probably do this for free as part of the "added" purchase price.

A bow shop will do the warranty work for free if needed.

A bow shop will probably help you out getting your form right.

A bow shop will probably toss in some "extra" stuff for buying the bow there, x hours at the range, periodic tuneup, putting the accessories on and tuning.

Buying on line is a crap shoot, if you do not have the knowledge and experience to both setup a bow as well as know what size bow you need, you will then probably either not be happy with how the bow shoots, or will spend the "savings" at a shop getting the bow setup to fit you.

When I worked in a shop, it was normal and expected, to spend 1-2 hours with a person when they bought the bow. When they left the shop, the bow was tuned to shoot well for them, and if they were a new shooter they also got some free instruction on how to shoot it.

It may cost more upfront, but long run, the shop is the best deal. Especially for newer archers.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always bought local. But now, since so many guys are saving a few bucks on the internet and at the big sporting goods stores, there's no place to buy local any more. Both our very good local shops have been forced out of business by the discount places.

A good shop is like insurance. It costs extra to have it and you wonder if it's worth it... Until you wind up in a situation where you really NEED it.

If you've got a good shop, do your business there.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 AM

I think it boils down to how much experience you have with archery and whether you can do all your own work. The problem with EBay and other places on the net is that often times it's the inexperienced that use them and end up with ill-fitting equipment because of lack of experience.
They never reach their potential for accuracy and don't know why. Only time they go to a local shop is for service, begrudge paying for it, and walk away with very little knowledge gained.

I say that for those who have the knowledge and can do their own work it's fine. You should know exactly what you are looking for. But then a lot of times it's those with the know-how that patronize local shops for most stuff because in doing so they can keep up with the newest and learn more. Of course, cameraderie may be a part of it, too.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Spike

I agree with just about every reply here. Before you decide to go the "e-bay" route, do your homework. Go to local shops and larger retail stores to test some, and then look into e-bay. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, but for someone with a little more knowledge and experience.
I bought a Darton Avalanche online recently and saved about $230 from retail. Before making this purchase I tried out at least 50 other bows, so I knew what I was looking for.

Mike

Quick Reply: Local bow shop vs. eBay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.