Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First time to draw on a deer and i miss.... >

First time to draw on a deer and i miss....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First time to draw on a deer and i miss....

Old 09-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First time to draw on a deer and i miss....

Oh man, the first time I let one fly, I spaced and looked at the 25 yd pin instead of the 15 yd pin. Right over its back. Lucky for me it was a yearling and just stood there dumbfounded while I drew again. I settled down and took a deep breath and put one right through both lungs. Just take your time. As long as you arent spotted, you will have plenty of time to draw, find your pin, take a deep breath, and slowly squeeze the trigger.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, it's happened to me as well, on more than one occasion. Imagine having missed a couple P&Y's in previous years, and you have a 140-150 class 12 pointer walk within' 6 yards of your stand. You're not excited, or anxious, you're PO'd because you know you're not letting this one get away like the others. You draw.....(What a first bow kill huh?) then you release the arrow and drop the bow so quick to see where you hit him, that the arrow flies just south of the kill zone. That wasme 2 years ago. You'll get many more chances, and you'll get'em, just stay cool and keep after them.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 AM

Sorry to hear about your miss. I took my first deer two seasons ago. 10 seconds later I took my second. My third came that same evening,and all three with the bow. Then, my next two deer I shot I wounded and never found. Like you, I just got excited and touched the trigger to quick. I was torn up on the inside, knowing I had just wounded such a beautiful animal. My brother, friends and I spent over25 hours looking for those deer.

As others have said, it is much better to miss than wound. You obviously know how to shoot. You'll get them next time.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Another Miss Story...

It also involves a bear. I was sitting on my stand. This nice 300# pitch black bear comes in at 10 yards. I pull on him, settle in, put my pin on the boiler room spot and release. I hit the fat layer above his spine...I know this because I saw where the arrow hit and the arrow was only covered in fat...no blood. I realized I had used my 20 yard pin. I went home and removed all of my pins except the 10 yarder since all I was doing at the time was bear hunting from this stand.

Live and learn...
Reid
Old 09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the encouragement everyone. you don't have to worry, i won't get depressed. it was still a great experience, on which i will never forget. here's for hoping for better luck next weekend.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Last year. First shot at a buck with my bow. he jumped the string. I was devestated!! It's gets better!!

Believe you me!