Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does this bother anyone else? >

Does this bother anyone else?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does this bother anyone else?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does this bother anyone else?

Mostly its just me and the wife unless the Kids come in from out of town and bring their gear. We have a 60 yard range in the yard and do most shooting at 35 because thats where the shade is, and dont tear up near as many Arrows from there!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

I usually start at 10 yards, then move to 20, then sometimes to 25 or 30, but not very often from more than 20. I'm OK for hunting at 20 to 25, but I won't shoot at a deer that's further than that. A big part of the problem is where I live (DC), so it's really hard for me to practice very often. It's 45 minutes each way (hour-and-a-half round trip) to the nearest place I can shoot, without traffic (and believe me, there's usually plenty of traffic around DC), so it's just not someting I can do nearly as often as I would like.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot out to 60 and 70 yards myself and I understand what you are saying.

Problem is that most of these people that claim that they don't shoot at a deer past 20 yards will fling an arrow at a deer if he gets hung up at 35 or 40 yards and then complain about wounding it and never finding it. Unfortunately I get to hear about this kind of crap all season long.

Have them bring their own targets when you all practice together. Shoot from the same line but set your targets up at different distances. That way you can shoot at 50 yards while they shoot at their short 20 yards.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 AM

Practicing at longer distances always makes the shorter ones seem like chip shots. I sometimes practice out to 50yds,but I won't shoot a deer at more than 25. - Dr Andy

completely agree
Old 08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm talking about when you all get together for some practice. You are all standing there shooting together and you would like to move back and shoot a few from a longer distance and your buddies refuse.

I don't care what they do elsewhere. I'd just like to shoot from varying distances when shooting together.
OPS,my bad. I would have to agree with you on that one. I really just do all my serious practice alone anyway. WEll heck, where I live now there's no one with in range to shoot with anyway. LOL I've always done it alone. I can take my time, tinker with the sight, shoot from weird places and at weird angles. Shoot from unknow distances and all that. I don't have to wait on anyone or hold anyone up. Where I live now the whole yard is a free fire zone with nothing to worry about unless I were to shoot at the road. LOL I even have a 20 foot high bank to shoot off to simulate treestand hunting.