HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Does this bother anyone else? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/201119-does-bother-anyone-else.html)

Windwalker7 08-07-2007 07:55 PM

Does this bother anyone else?

It is getting that time of year when guys break out their bows and start getting in some serious practice for the upcoming archery seasons.

I'm sure that many of us get together with friends to practice.

What really bothers me is when you get a couple guys together and they only want to shoot from 20 yds. You have topractically beg to get them to move back to 30 yds.and Heaven forbid they even think about trying a few from 40 or 50yds.

I don't know what it is. They always have the same excuses.

" I don't shoot at deer more than 20 yds."

" I don't know if my 30yd pin is sighted in."

" No, I'm alright shooting from here."

Any of you guys encounter this?

Does it bother you like it does me?

Germ 08-07-2007 07:56 PM

RE: Does this bother anyone else?

" I don't shoot at deer more than 20 yds."
That's me:D

I am in ignore mode at the range, it would really bug me if I watch some of these guys.

janesburg 08-07-2007 07:57 PM

It wouldn't bother me at all. If they aren't comfortable shooting past 20 yards then thats ok with me.

buckmaster 08-07-2007 07:58 PM

im the one that gets begged to move back but now with my 5-pin i shoot back to 60 anyday

davepjr71 08-07-2007 07:59 PM

Hasn't been an issue with the people I shoot with. My buddy shoots about 1/5th as much as I do and is willing to step back to 50 if I want to. By this time people should be shooting enough that 30 yds is their standard practice range and 20 is just for warm-up.

That's why people need to dust their bows off way sooner than now. Even if you shoot teice a month in the off season you're still better off.

davidmil 08-07-2007 08:01 PM

It doesn't bother me what other people do. Their choices are their choices. Why would you worry if someone wants to limit themselves to 20 yards and under. Does it really effect your hunting? Does it really change what you do? Let them have their say and tell them about the 40 yard heart shot you made.[8D]

Buck Magnet 08-07-2007 08:04 PM

I know what your talking about and while I respect my few buddies that don't want to practice past 20 yards, it does get a little annoying when your trying to shoot with them. If we are shooting in my yard its a pain for them to shoot at 20 yards and then for me to have to walk back to 40 or 50 to shoot. Thats why I usually will only shoot one arrow at a time while they shoot 3 and when they are done I do some of my long range shooting.

Windwalker7 08-07-2007 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

It doesn't bother me what other people do. Their choices are their choices. Why would you worry if someone wants to limit themselves to 20 yards and under. Does it really effect your hunting? Does it really change what you do? Let them have their say and tell them about the 40 yard heart shot you made.[8D]
I'm talking about when you all get together for some practice. You are all standing there shooting together and you would like to move back and shoot a few from a longer distance and your buddies refuse.

I don't care what they do elsewhere. I'd just like to shoot from varying distances when shooting together.

GTOHunter 08-07-2007 08:06 PM

I have no problem with target practicing at 20-30-and up to 40 yards.You never know when it will help you get the Buck or Doe of your dreams out in the woods.I have my pins set at 20,30 and 40 yards.I can always make the choice to shoot or not to shoot at a deer at 40 yards away but it is nice to know you can make that far away of a shot if you feel confident on hitting your target!

Kelly/KY 08-07-2007 08:08 PM

You know, people will have their opinions or preferences and I just leave it at that. Hey, if the next guys is limiting him/herself to those ranges, just means more bucks for you. You don't always have the good luck of one coming in that close.