Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Should I bother?

Old 01-05-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Should I bother?

I live in NE Kentucky. I am interested in getting a bird dog pup to train. The problem is, there isn't an abundance of birds in the area. I have killed 2 quail and 3 grouse in 3 trips bird hunting this year. I really want to get a bird dog to train, but I am worried there aren't enough birds to properly train the dog. Any suggestions? Hey!, I still have some good beagles either way.

Also, what dog would you recommend for quail, grouse, and dove? I have looked into Brittanys, Pointers, GSP, GWP, and English Setters. I like the looks of the GWP the best, but looks can be deceiving.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:27 PM

Default RE: Should I bother?

KYhunter,

A dog can be your best up on upland birds! I have hunted grouse and pheasants all of my time hunting (about 23 years). Until I started hunting with a dog, I had only bagged 1 pheasant and no grouse. I have not hunted grouse in a very long time. But the pheasants are starting to roll in.

If you get a dog, a common training method is to use common pigeons which are leagal to shoot. As well, you may be able to find a game club where you can purchase birds of various species and have them released. Have fun!

OhioDuckHunter
Old 01-06-2004, 11:41 AM

KYhunter14- Go with the Brittany. The rest is just riff-raff. (just a joke kids, calm down!)
Old 01-06-2004, 04:08 PM

l'll have to agree with blackliner on this one! Go with the Brittany. Brittanys are great close ranging dogs.

As for the birds - There aren't many birds where I live in Missouri, so I use what birds are there, and I have also bought pen-raised Chukar, which work real well for training. Watch out for the pen-raised Quail, no matter what they say, they most likely won't fly very well. The last thing you want is a (pointing) dog that thinks he can catch every bird.

Owning a bird dog is a great experience. But it can be a lot of work!
Old 01-07-2004, 03:15 PM

http://www.guadairakennels.com/
Old 01-07-2004, 07:08 PM

Kyhunter,

Exactly where are you hunting? I realize that Kentucky is not a premier bird hunting state, but there are more than enough birds to keep my dogs busy each season. The birds are out there (and I hunt public land almost exclusively), you just have to work for them and know what habitat they are using.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:38 AM

I hunt mainly in Boyd and Greenup Counties. I know there are some birds here, but not as many as I would like (i'm sure many hunters would say that). Where are you hunting? I have been told there are many more upland birds in the western part of the state than here.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:59 PM

I use alot of pigeons for training! They are easy to find and cheap. Do you have a hunting preserve nearby? They can be an alternative to areas short on upland birds.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

They raise some of the finest foot-hunting English Setters in the world right there in Kentucky. Try and find a NSTRA event near you. There you will see these dogs in action and you should be able to line up a pup.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:24 PM

Kyhunter,

I hunt (and reside) in northern Kentucky, but spend copious amounts of time in the central and eastern parts of the state. Woodcock, grouse and quail may not be as abundant as in some of the other states, but they are there for those willing to find them. It's a rare day that I go out during quail season and not put a covey up. I harvest woodcock every day I go out from the opener until seasons close and grouse hunting always guarantees us a flush or two minimum. Then you have dove and crow, which are always abundant and waterfowl. If you don't feel there are enough birds, work your dog at a preserve -- as little as possible, and then work the dog on the harder birds. Birds are a lot tougher to hunt these days. There are smarter and with smaller populations (as compared to the Golden-days of yester-year), much tougher to find. Believe me, the birds are out there in Kentucky.