Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The secret to gaining permission >

The secret to gaining permission

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The secret to gaining permission

Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The secret to gaining permission

I send EVERYONE a hand-written letter......whether I gain permission, or not. The first person I asked told me NO. I thanked him for his time.....(he's my neighbor)....and went to my office and hand-wrote him a 3 page letter expalining how much of an animal lover I TOO am. He came to my house....3 days later.....and told me he'd changed his mind....and gave me the ground rules (which I've been happy to oblige). I took 3 deer off this property, this season).

I asked another farmer who told me "No". I also wrote him a letter. He's got a brother that hunts there, too....and it's a bit touchy. I've kept track of his season......and I honestly believe I'll get asked to hunt there in the future. He's called me on bow-related matters....and I even went over and helped him hang stands. He knows he can call on me if his dad needs help around the farm, too (he's elderly....and I live close). I'd bet $1K I gain access to at least turkey hunt this property, next year.

Woodlots (OK...back yards) where I shot my buck, Saturday.....they were going to let me in there for 2 days. I sent them the 'thank you' letter.....and I've got a place for life, now (they reconsidered after receiving the letter....and said I was welcomed back). I saw 23 deer there, Saturday morning. Rob/PA saw 37 in there in one afternoon. That's a pretty valuable letter if you asked me.....

Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

GregH:

Your company is one of my wife's clients. Small world (BIG company...lol).

Jeff
Old 12-14-2006, 10:56 AM

MY son had permission to hunt this farm about 6 years before I started hunting again. I hunted there for 2 years before the farmer would sign my permission slip. Now my son and I both offer to help him around the farm. My son got the farmer a good deal on a car since his wife works for a car mfg. We both take them venision because they like to eat it.I took themone of my recipes and the marinade to go in it. I took them some of the antelope I shot in another state. I gave them a copy of the book on fishing I recently published. They now treat me and my son like part of the family. We never ask the farmer to let us bring any friends along as we know he is very particular about who he lets on his land. This year when he signed my permission slip and I thanked him he thanked me for helping to keep the deer herd under control. He wants us to call him when we are going to hunt. He told me that if he sees our vehicles after he thinks we should have gone home that he figures we may be in trouble and he'll come to look for us.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the laugh GUYS!! Sorry, but this is hilarious stuff to me. I am a farm owner, and hunter, and the "little woman". You want advice on this matter, come see me. You have got to understand a farmer. We have got the land, and in our case, too busy trying to make it pay for itself to enjoy the benefit of having it. It's very hard for me to understand how people can just show up and think that I'm gonna let them enjoy the use of my farm, while I have to spend my day working like a dog to pay for it. I hate to soundharsh about it. I would much rather spend my afternoons hunting, putting out corn, and scouting around, But, you gotta cover your bills first, and mother nature is a tough boss lady! (May hay while the sun shines) So, I am driving myself to an early grave to ensure that my farm is paid for, so my son can have it when I am gone. Nine days left of hunting season here, new bow as an early Christmas gift for myself, and can't seem to make time to hunt. Little upset,yeah. You folks that want to persue hunting on others land...best way to get on my good side....keep your candles for the next power outage...how about a helping hand now and then. Heck, an RC Cola and a Moon Pie when it's 95 and we are surrounded by a cloud of dust. Be creative!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Site Buck Guru

Farmchick,
This was meant to be humerousand true at the same time. This method has worked for me many times. Mostly as a way of getting a foot in the door, so to speak. After a friendship has started, the work help and things you speak of are good ways to cement the relationship. It isn't just give a gift and hunt. It's just part of the equation. To me, you sound a bit bitter, kind of like your man left you holding the bag. If it is too much for you, maybe you should sell it and try something a bit less stressfull. If I came to your door and recieved the bitterness you give off, I'd go somewhere else where the people were a tad more cheerful. I hope things get better for you.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:48 PM

Yep, it was bitter. Sorry. But, here, the more you give, the more they take. Tried being nice and let a few folks hunt. It ended up being nothing but trouble. Not following what we say is the big thing. When we say, "stay on the road" we mean stay on the road. I have been peppered with shot in my own yard. I just can't risk it anymore. Honesty and integrity are hard to come by here. It didn't use to be like this. We used to let people fish too. Calling the vet to have fishing line removed from calves, and trash everywhere like they had a party stopped that. We let a close freind hunt one farm this year....said he wanted does. WE said no problem. So far he's taken 4 bucks and no does. We just gave up. I know there are good hunters with good ethics out there......apologies to everyone.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:14 PM

I write a hand wrighten note, saying that in the summer I'd work on the property in return to bowhunt coyotes and groundhogs(which can help manage a farm). Then hopefully bowhunt deer.Trying to get meat for the freezer then antlers and will share any venison I get. Then saying contact me at so and so. If they accept, I come to talk to them in a collared shirt and dress pants with my mom(I'm 11) and setup some rules. Hopefully this'll work.