Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The secret to gaining permission >

The secret to gaining permission

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The secret to gaining permission

Old 12-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default The secret to gaining permission

This post is in response to NY Bowhunters post (PM box full).

The number one secret to gaining permission to hunt someones land?

Make the women of the house happy!

When you have located a property that you'd like to gain access to, you have to gear up to make the lady of the house happy. In a lot of cases the man of the house, usually a farmer, would like for you to remove some deer from his property. If his wife doesn't like hunting because she likes to see the cute little deer, you're not getting in. No matter what! If she's not happy, nobody's happy. The man is not going to risk it. Who, in there right mind is going to upset the little lady? You do that and you're not getting any. It's called "THE POWER OF THE PATCH". Trust me, most men are not going to do anything to upset the balance of that.

So....... you do things that will please her to make her want you to come back. I'm fortunate to work for a company that makes household products. SC Johnson Wax, we make Edge, Pledge, Glade, Raid, Windex etc. Among other things, we make candles. Candles are a secret weapon. All women love candles. They can't get enough of them. They'll stock pile them until they have enough to outshine the sun. Now is a good time for Xmas candles but you have to throw in some everyday ones to make them want more. The next best thing that women like is Skin creme. You are playing their femininity. They like things that make them feel good. Just the act of a man giving them these things makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. Throw in a couple of things that are practical as well, like, glass cleaner, kitchen cleaner, bathroom cleaner and furniture polish. These are the kind of gifts that a women really likes. Save the deer sausage until your sure that she even likes the stuff. These other things are a sure bet.

Part 2

Get some man things too! This is really important because if you don't, he'll either shoot you or kick your a$$ for hitting on his women. Most importantly, you won't get in. Things like chains, rope, wire, electric motors, Waterless hand cleaner, WD-40, you know... man things!

So.... you have your gift box prepared, 80% her, 20% him. You go to the door when you know he's out working. When she answers, you say "Hi, I'm so and so and I've got something for you and your husband so that you'd give some thought on the possibility of letting me BOWhunt for small game and possibly for deer. DO NOT just say deer.Leave some room to get your foot in the door. You may have to prove yourself and build up a friendship first before they'll let you hunt deer. See what she says and make small talk with her. Look for things to compliment, house, yard, car etc. Look for things you have in common. Don't over do it, they're not stupid. Besides, you got to leave before he gets to the house.Tell her that you'll stop back in a few days to see if they have discussed it.

Here's what you are hoping for....You want her to TELL her husband to let that nice man hunt. He most likely will because... power of the patch! She likes you and wants more. Plus he'll like his man gifts also. If all goes well, you'll be in and possibly develope a lasting friendship.

This has worked well for me and it should for you also.

Good luck Remember don't rush it.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: The secret to gaining permission

That's good stuff Greg, I have been doing those type of things myself. I would also like to add Chocolate! Women LOVE the stuff and so do the men. He may not seem interested in it but as soon as they are behind closed doors he is eating them tasty morselstoo.

I like to give the assorted gift box that you can find at Sams Club or the like. Sometimes when they go on sale I will buy several boxes at a time.

Thanks for the tips Greg.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:28 PM

Another tip, it may have been mentioned in the previous thread but;

Don't show up in camo.

Dress nice. This doesn't necessarily equate to wearing Sunday's best, but look presentable. A collard shirt (long sleeve preferably), slacks, and dress shoes will work.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Bartender

Gregh,

I found asking coyote hunting usually gets me in. Great stuff you typed up thought TY.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:51 AM
Bartender

OOPS though
Old 12-14-2006, 03:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some good tips
Old 12-14-2006, 04:36 AM

Good advice GregH!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:55 AM

Great idea's. Here is what has worked for me.
I go in the spring, usually around April, May. I provide a writting form with all my information, Vehicle, phone number, Hunting Liscense. State of WV requires you have written permission and it must be carried with you when you are on their property. So I have a form that just adds extra info. The landowner keeps one and I get a copy.
I ask in spring if I could hunt Ground hogs with my bow. Usually they laugh about that, but then say sure go ahead. Then when I go out there to go for ground hogs, if I see the farmer working on something or even not. I always first offer up to give them a hand. Then usually around august, I don't even have to ask for permission for deer. 8 out 10 times, they come to me and ask if I would like to also like to hunt deer. The one big issue I have heard from every farmer I have spoken with is that they hate when folks show up just a couple weeks or even days before season opens and ask for permission to hunt, but do not want to give anything in return and then are upset when the farmer says not this year. I always try to put myself in the landowners shoes and ask myself. If this were my place how would I feel and what would I expect.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:58 AM

I've never had problems gaining permission. I have lived in this area for a long time. I know a lot of farmers and they allow me on their property because I respect their land. Plus, I am one of the only bow hunters in the area. Most people around here gun hunt. I still gun hunt. But, I took up the bow a couple of years ago when I saw how much more time I'd get alone in the woods.

GregH has some good points, but, be careful going to a house without the husband there too. He might get leary & offended. I personally would go there when they are both there. Just a thought. Also, you can offer to help them in some way. Maybe put some sweat equity into the farm. I know some guys around here do that. They help the farmer put a roof on, or clear a fence row. It's a nice gesture and will secure your hunting rights for a long time. You get to know the family, and in fact, become a part of the family.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:22 AM

i go in the summer time and carry my secret weapons ,my 2 little blonde headed girls. tell them i really need a good place to hunt with my kids and the old land owners ussually give in ,,if there not to much of a hard butts .

Quick Reply: The secret to gaining permission

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.