Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Secret-not-so-Secret Marinade

Old 05-07-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Secret-not-so-Secret Marinade

All my marinades are secrets to me because I can't ever remember exactly how I made them. I was asked to share one, so I'll do my best to remember.

1. "Zesty italian" or "olive oil vinegrette" dressing makes up about 75% of mix.
2. French's Yellow Mustard, about 2 or 3 tablespoons.
3. Panola Jalapeno Sauce, put as much as you like. (It's not really hot, but gives great flavor)
4. Minced garlic, about 2 tablespoons
5. Diced onions, about 1 to 1/2 an onion
6. A couple of slices of bacon that are cut into small pieces
7. Black pepper, about 1 teaspoon

For large pieces of meat, I cut deep slices or gashes in it. Then put a good heavy coat of marinade on it and rub it in. Next, I put more diced onions on all sides (they kinda stuck to the meat) and wrapped it in bacon. Then, poured the rest of marinade on top cover it and let it set for 2 or 3 days. Finally, cook it the way you like it.

I normally use the zesty italian, but the last time I didn't have any, so I used the vinegrette and it worked great. The vinegrette was a Wishbone brand that looked a lot like an italian dressing.

I just did a whole deer shoulder like this and slow cooked it. It came out great!
Old 05-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Secret-not-so-Secret Marinade

Thanks TX. Sounds great. I think even the wife will like this one.