Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How to go about asking a land owner to hunt? >

How to go about asking a land owner to hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to go about asking a land owner to hunt?

Old 11-20-2002, 02:45 PM

Default How to go about asking a land owner to hunt?

I always see go hunting spots from the road but never make it up to the persons house to ask to hunt, or there will be no house for miles away. I was just wondering how everyone gets permission to hunt on private land. Do i just go up and ask and if so how do i approach it? I was thinking about typing up a resume that has all my info on it to give to the land owner. And how about the spots that dont have any houses on them where can i find out who owens them? Is there a web page i can look up to find them ? If there is i live in ohio. What if there just like NO you cant hunt do you just walk away or try to talk to them into letting you? If anyone can give me any info on this it would help. Thanks James
Old 11-20-2002, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How to go about asking a land owner to hunt?

As far as determining who owns a plot of land, the county courthouse or municipal building should have the tax parcel maps available for you to look at. These should have the name of the land owner for each parcel in the county.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe Ohio is different (I hope) but in NJ the ticket is cold cash. I have tried the asking route and have always been rejected in NJ. The only way in is through friends/etc. In fact, our landowner doubled our lease payment b/c he thought that we weren't paying enough after some greedy lawyer told him what he thought the land was worth.

I hope you have better luck in OH.

Hunting the wilds of Jersey
Old 11-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

There was time in southern illinois when you could ask for permission to hunt a farm and get it. But now it seems that now so many people are willing to pay to hunt that it is getting harder to find a landowner that dont see the dollar signs in front of his eyes. Do I blame the landowner, absolutely not, but I do think this is the growing trend and we might as well get used to it.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:48 PM

What do you say i'll give you money if you let me hunt on your property? Do you pay him then or scout it out to make sure it's a prime hunting spot, and how much do you guys pay him to hunt? This would help me out. Thanks James
Old 11-20-2002, 08:57 PM

You might try offering to spend some of your time helping the landowner with the property. Many landowners have jobs and commitments that don't allow much time for improvemants to their land. If you find a good parcel of land and find out who owns it. You may contact them and offer to help repair a fence or offer to plant a food plot. It depends on what the landowner has in mind for the property. If they actively farm it, offer to help drive the grain to the Co-op or something. I used to help a cattle farmer inoculate his new born cows every year and help him keep his fences up so the cattle didn't get into the cornfields. Then when I mentioned that I liked to bowhunt he readily gave me permission to hunt and even told me where he'd seen deer on his property. His was glad to have me take a few out because they were tearing up his corn. You have to spend some time with them and get to know them. Then you become their friend and they trust you not to destroy their property. Then you're the one who's the 'friend' and everone's envious of you.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:03 PM

James, the best thing I have found id to get out and meet people. i.e. social gatherings, fairs, etc. The more you talk to people, the more the subject of hunting comes up. I got a good 20+ acres just by talking to 1 person at the county fair. He had a friend with some open land. That was the ticket I needed.
As far as paying first then scouting, I don't advise it. If you can do some pre-dawn/ evening scouting from the road then do it before asking. If you can't, ask the owner if you can hunt and at the sane time, ask if you can look around before fronting the cash. That wway you don't get burnt and he/she isn't laughing on the way to the bank.
Also, the amount you pay is really up to the owner and how well the hunting is. If it is a prime area with little or no pressure, look to pay a few shiny pennies. If it is a decent area, it will be lower. See the trend?
Then you could also trip up on a farmer with a deer problem and need help keeping them out of the fields as much.
Another way is to offer your services around the farm/home/land. i.e. farmhand, cleaning up the place, LABOR. The good neighbor routine still works in some places. If the owner wants cash, offer your help, he/she might take theat instead because they save money and get the work done.
Sorry this was lengthy but thought I could help. Chris

P.S. Not a newbie here just a new name.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had very good luck by aksing to hunt groundhogs in the summer. Most farmers would like to rid their property of these pests and it gives them a chance to know you and observe your behavior while hunting. No farmer who has allowed me to hunt groundhogs has denied me permission to hunt deer. Of course, you have to enjoy goundhog hunting for this to work.

Old 11-21-2002, 04:18 AM

It's tough around here too. Many leases. I haven't tried it, but I know a guy who hunts all kinds of prime private property for free, his only payment...he shoots X amount of coyotes from each farm. The coyotes are becoming a real issue here. He starts in January right after deer season.

Trushot }}------>
Old 11-21-2002, 05:27 AM

a spot that I hunt I just seen the property owner in his drive way one day and I pulled in and talked to him for a while and then asked him to hunt. Now I just be sure to stop by and say hello and thanks either before or after the hunt. Also I offer him some of my harvest and my camp is by a popular walleye lake so I stop a couple of times in the summer with nice fresh fillets. One thing though. Don't ever give permission to one of your buddies to hunt without asking the property owner first. I had a buddy that had a great spot the only one allowed and he pulled a (I can't go but just tell him I sent you) for a couple co workers and the property owner called him that night and said that's it!