HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to go about asking a land owner to hunt?
Old 11-20-2002, 09:03 PM
RidgeRunr

Default RE: How to go about asking a land owner to hunt?

James, the best thing I have found id to get out and meet people. i.e. social gatherings, fairs, etc. The more you talk to people, the more the subject of hunting comes up. I got a good 20+ acres just by talking to 1 person at the county fair. He had a friend with some open land. That was the ticket I needed.
As far as paying first then scouting, I don't advise it. If you can do some pre-dawn/ evening scouting from the road then do it before asking. If you can't, ask the owner if you can hunt and at the sane time, ask if you can look around before fronting the cash. That wway you don't get burnt and he/she isn't laughing on the way to the bank.
Also, the amount you pay is really up to the owner and how well the hunting is. If it is a prime area with little or no pressure, look to pay a few shiny pennies. If it is a decent area, it will be lower. See the trend?
Then you could also trip up on a farmer with a deer problem and need help keeping them out of the fields as much.
Another way is to offer your services around the farm/home/land. i.e. farmhand, cleaning up the place, LABOR. The good neighbor routine still works in some places. If the owner wants cash, offer your help, he/she might take theat instead because they save money and get the work done.
Sorry this was lengthy but thought I could help. Chris

P.S. Not a newbie here just a new name.