Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A hunter's stance on the WHA >

A hunter's stance on the WHA

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A hunter's stance on the WHA

Old 08-25-2006, 11:24 AM

Default RE: A hunter's stance on the WHA

Did you know the high fence beginnings is just a start? There are plans to expand to public land and non-fenced land.

Did you know they're considering having an advisory board primarily made up of volunteers that are against WHA? The point is to listen to the concerns of the hunting public and make changes that better suit the future of the sport as seen by the majority of hunters.

Did you know the show will focus on the "campfire communion" of hunting brethren of different backgrounds? There will be story telling and moment sharing, etc.

I've only recently learned these and other facts that make it sound very much different than you may have heard. Keep an open mind and see what happens. Try to think of a television show that 1) captures the essence of hunting, 2) captures the moments of importance while on the hunt, 3) attracts newcomers to hunting, & 4) turns a profit otherwise it can not be done. Not as easy as it sounds. Is this it? I don't know, but I can't think of a television show that does all four of those things. The closest I get is the old Wally Tabor shows that drew thousands to hunting when I was a kid.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:36 PM

Had Mr. Farbman approached this entire idea from a different angle then perhaps my feelings at this point would be somewhat different.

While I'm not contesting the fact that the WHA has done what it can to appease our concerns (the new format; read, harvest hunting), first impressions are everything. David Farbman assumed that we as a community would be willing to allow him to speak on behalf of all of us. That we all felt that hunting needed "a shot in the arm." As I said in my initial post, I am all for the progression and expansion of ours sport, however, I don't feel that David Farbman is the person and the WHA is not the organization that I want representing me.

I still believe that his actions are based mainly on how much money he can rake in rather than how many new hunters he can bring to our sport. He can sweet talk you all he wants and he may be able to sway your opinions, but my mind won't be changed so easily.

Call me stubborn, but I still won't support the WHA.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Call me stubborn...
No, call you wise beyond your years. How does Eddie Salter say it on the PrimeTime videos? "The proof's in the pudding, boys."

Yes, I do give Farbman some credit for changing to meet the demands of the community. The problem is just that; if we hadn't demanded, would he have changed? I think his trueself was trotted out for all to see before the outcry went up. And THAT bothers me -- because his views on what was "representative" of hunting were so skewed it ain't funny.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:36 PM

Greg, I believe that the format would have been changed eventually anyhow. Not because Farbman finally saw the light, but because it would have been found illegal. I honestly don't believe that the format was suddenly changed because of our (the hunting community's) concern about the drugging. I believe that Farbman realized that it would be found illegal. He changed when he did, before it was officially announced illegal, to make himself look a little better in our eyes.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Dominant Buck

It is not the true essence of hunting , those are empty words mouthed by a man whose stated goal is the creation of a new industry , not a new traditrion . His only goal is money , so with respect to SBGobblers ,his motivation is already suspect . Absolute power has one thing in common with money , they both corrupt absolutely , there is no middle ground with either . To prostitute wildlife fsolely or the sake of money and status is shameful at best , and something we don't need to be associated with .
Old 08-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know all of you know where I stand on this matter! It is impossible for me to look beyond the original design and intention of the WHA.The true measure of this is what format would have taken place had there not been issues of hunter opposition or legality? This isn't city planning or zoning where you are making revisions to get your building built (or maybe it is,in the case of David Farbmans aspirations).This is speaking to the integrity of something that is very dear to me in my life! Being a nimble business man or politicking has no place in determining the legitimacy of this endeavor,it is the original intention and design that I cannot erase from my mind.
High fence,GPS monitored animals,WHA girls,suggesting a cult following for the hunters who participate.I don't know how some of you can get past that.I can't!!
I do applaud your open minds,there is nothing wrong with being open and decent but don't let your good natures get in the way of your better judgement!
I want to compliment Washington Hunter,for a young man you have a lot on the ball!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been sayin it in most of my posts about the WHA. If this thing does get forced into existence with money (which it probaby will) what else should be changed in their format. It is very easy to tear something to shreds and point out everything we hate about it but it is much harder to come up with constructive criticism that may be used to change something negative to something with some positive potential or at the least a little more acceptance from the hunting community. I don't know to what extent it could be changed but it seems as though they are responding to some things. Now their motives for the changes are a little questionable (was the darting going to be illegal?) or are they responding to all of the feed back from true hunters and hunting organizations. It's a long way from over and who's to say where this thing is heading but it doesn't seem to be going away. I am nota WHA fan because of some of the quotes I've read, the tactics that might be used,and the WWE type "commercializing" that is happening and in my mind that is not hunting but neitherare most of the hunting shows I watch on T.V.Most of themare commercialized, self-promoting, ranch-hunting, blow hards who I don't feel represent me or real hunting, they too are about big bucks (both kinds) whether they come out and say it or not,and they are all over the channels and DVD's withlittle to no uproar. Hunting is big business now and unfortunately money corrupts the integrity of everything. I guess I don't see the WHA much differently than those shows, I don't like either, but somebody must or they wouldn't be around. So I guessmy question is can anything good come of this? It is not a matter of me accepting the WHA or gettingpast the negatives it' more a matter of being realistic. Realistically this thing will probably get off the ground but Hopefully there won't be enough people watching or good enough ratings to keep it around. If the thing doesn't make money it will get abandoned, Farbman is a businessman and no profits is the only thing he will understand. I knowI won't be watching but someone might and that is why I wonder if there will be anything good/positive about hunting for them to take away from it.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:06 PM

New - That's one thing that I am still afraid of. It isn't a matter of what the hunting community will take from the program. We'll watch it, see what it really is, and be sick.

My concern is what will the non-hunting community take from the program?

These are the people we need to be most concerned about. The fence riders. The people who aren't so anti as to say that hunting is horrible but at the same time not out there saying that hunting is great. How will the WHA make hunters in general look?

Do I think we will be able to stop the WHA from going on air as expected in October? No. Am I going to continue voicing my opinion and trying to turn as many people away from the WHA as I can until that time? You're darn right I am.

Again, call me stubborn for not taking a more proactive approach to this and trying to find some good in the bad, but I honestly don't see any good coming from it.

I can see it now. The show opens and the camera pans to a hunter perched 20 feet up in a tree. Snap to a buck walking up a trail. Next thing we know the camera is showing a stage and a crowd, a dozen perky cheerleaders and a couple of announcers. Is that what hunting is? No. This is the reality TV, glitz and glamour version that David Farbman will be using to line his pockets with even more money.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:10 PM

I have a suggestion spurred on by Hazcon's request--why don't we put together a formal list of the legitimate concerns that we have , and in writing, so that I can present them to him systematically when we meet? This would, rather than representing myself only, add more weight and expound upon the breadth of the concern that we, as a community have. What do you think?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a bad idea Manuman,I am just skeptical about helping some one or steering them in a proper direction if I am uncertain about their motives.I give you a lot of credit for your open mindedness. A while back David Farbman emailed me twice looking to personally speak with me,between being very busy in my business life and my stubborness I really had no interest in speaking with him.It is hard for me because I always give someone the benefit of the doubt.I just have to hard a time looking beyond the farce he was originally proposing to give him any more consideration.

Quick Reply: A hunter's stance on the WHA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.