Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A hunter's stance on the WHA >

A hunter's stance on the WHA

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A hunter's stance on the WHA

Old 08-25-2006, 01:08 AM

Default A hunter's stance on the WHA

Greg, before you direct me to the thread you made regarding new posts about the WHA, I want you to know that this post will contain no new information about the organization. In fact, it contains a lot of what we already know, things that have already been discussed. However, I feel that after reading this post, you'll feel that it is worth leaving open for discussion, as I hope that the majority of our board's members feel the way I do.

With that out of the way:

The WHA has on its website and open letter to all hunters in which it states;

"...The World Hunt Association intends to expand the next generation of hunters and hunting fans by showcasing the true essence of hunting..."

I know that I am not the only one who feels that this organization will be doing the complete opposite of its intended goal. To me, hunting has always been about the things that can't be explained or "showcased" on any television program. Hunting has always been about something so deep and so primal that it can only be understood and fully embraced through experience. It is about being a part of a tradition that my ancestors participated in for centuries before I was born. It is the feeling that I am walking some sort of predetermined path that was instilled in me when these ancients first picked up a bow and arrow and used them to feed their families.

David Farbman, Commissioner and CEO of the World Hunt Association has been quoted as saying;

"...Are we here to make a profit? Yes—shoot me. But that’s not the objective. This is to build the whole industry and to raise the image of hunters.”

How can someone who so openly admits toestablishing this program as ameansof gainingwealth even begin to explain to the hunting community,and more importantlythe non-hunting community, why we do what we do? In short, I don't have faith that he can. Money tends to have a way ofblinding people, and while his intentions may be good, I feel that in the long run Mr. Farbman will lose track of what hunting is really about, if he hasn't already.

The opposition the the WHA has beenso strong that because ofour concerns, the organization has switched from its original plan of non-lethal darting to the more permanent"harvest hunting." While this may appease some hunters' concern about the organization and it's overallintentions, it does nothing to ease my mind.

Farbman has also been quoted as saying;

“I know hunting very well, I know passion very well and I know not quitting very well, I think you’re going to see real changes in the way the world will look at hunting because of the WHA."

I'm sorry, but when did we as a hunting community elect David Farbman and his organization to represent us? This is the last thing I would ever even consider doing in an attempt to get the world more involved in hunting. Did he even consider how we as a community would feel about this? I don't think so. Mr. Farbman saw fame and he sawfortune, he saw money to be made and popularity to be gained,and because of that he decided it was his duty to represent us alland give thehunting industry"a shot in the arm."

But wait, there's more! This isn't Mr. Farbman's idea, this is his calling! He was also quoted as saying;

“I didn’t come to do this as a venture, I did it because I believe it’s God’s vision, and we’re going to carry it out.”

Now I've never been a devoutly religious man, but I do attend church regularly, and I have read the bible. AmI the only one who is offended by this comment? How exactly isestablishing an organization who will be offering $500,000 in cash prizessomehow God's vision? Rather than start a religious debate, I would just like to say that personally I find it offensive.

The open letter to hunters that I spoke of earlier closes by saying;

"Now is the time for all hunters to stand together, shoulder to shoulder... Let usunite together to growthe sport..."

This is probably the only time you'll ever find me agreeing with anything regarding the WHA. Now is the time to stand together, shoulder to shoulder. Not in support of this organization, but rather as a community, concerned about the future of our beloved tradition. While I am completely behind the promotion of hunting and our beliefs and ideals, I feel that the World Hunt Organization will be doing nothing in the way of allowing the world to understand why we do what we do. So again I say, now is the time to stand together, shoulder to shoulder and denounce the World Hunt Organization. Now is the time to unite, as a community, and let the world know that we do not support David Farbman and his vision.

One hunter's thoughts. One hunter's hopes. Don't let the WHA ruin what we love.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: A hunter's stance on the WHA

I'm far from an ally in David's camp.....but he did speak to me last week on the phone (at his suggestion......based on some NOT SO supportive e-mails from me to him).

Part of what you're stating above (according to David) is unfounded (i.e. amt. of prize money). So....the basis for one of your arguing points is likely moot.

Secondly.....Iam a former PGA Professional. I used to put on a very nice junior golf clinic that included college and PGA TOUR players. Did I do it because I loved the kids? Yes. Did I ALSO do it because it made me money? Yes.

Profit is NOT a dirty word. Everyone needs to remember that. Money CAN corrupt. Money will not ALWAYS corrupt.

I am by NO MEANS in their camp.....but I DO have an open mind. It's more open since I talked to the horse......than it was when I was listening to conjecture and innuendo.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wash Hunter, don't worry... It was never my intention to discourage open dialogue or the examination of this idea; I've mentioned before that it's only when we truly delve into a matter such as many of us have done on here that we trulyunderstand ourselves and our positions to the fullest.

The "harsh stance" we had to take momentarily with a few trolls is hopefully just that: a brief period in time so as not to lose control of our own board. They have hopefully moved on now.

Ido think hunters need to have some serious intellectual dialogue between ourselves about this, but I think we as a community need to make up our own minds about the merits of Farbman and his proposed role as "saviour" of our heritage, using facts... and not propaganda from a few plants. Farbman, and any publicity-seeking public figure, will always leave enough quotes and information for us to truly decipher his purpose without needing the spin attached to it.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Greg:

I agree with everything you just said. Like "I" said....I'm not in his camp. I just happen to have NOT formed a final opinion on the overall issue. On the surface....it doesn't stand for what "I" think hunting is all about. Others, though.....ay have an ENTIRELY different outlook on hunting, in general, and who's to say which one is "right"?

It doesn't matter to Bill in WI what Jeff in NC thinks hunting should be. I'm old and mature enough to realize that.

With my background.....I can't go out and play a friendly game of golf with my hacking buddies (And no....they wouldn't be offended by that remark....lol). I know where I've been in the sport....and I simply can't allow myself to have fun chopping it all over the golf course. It's not in me. I wish it was.

I think a lot of people view hunting in the same manner (me included). Is there room for what David F/'s planning?? Probably not, for me.....but that Bill guy in WI might be a different story.

Time will tell......

JEff
Old 08-25-2006, 08:58 AM

I too have spoken to Farbman, and posted about that convo in your thread about future WHA postings, and yet received no reply. Maybe it was missed,but we all are concerned and I for one am keeping an open mind, and an open dialogue with Farbman overe these isues. He actually told me that the darting was nixed, and several other changes were made from pressure he has received from those of us who took the time to converse with him. I made several other suggestions and voice other concerns,which I wrote about in my previous post( especiallyconcerning the image of hunting as a whole, and the issues of ethics concerning fair chase, competition,etc.,and his point system). It seems as though only certain posters get replies, and others are overlooked, and that may just be a perception issue--at least I hope so. He is determned to go forward, and the only way to have any kind of true influence and or impact in the final product, is to remain soberminded, and to not be controlledin the emotional aspects of our passion. I truly want to see hunting around for my sons, and their sons. I don't want WHA or anything else to jeopardize its future, but if we want to influence its outcome, then we need to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves in our approach. Farbman has offered to send me a pilot of the first show for my opinion after review. He also requested to sit down over dinner in Atlanta in about 3 weeks to have some further discussions. I intend to do just that. I am not in his camp,but I am not going to be a jerk towards him, in hopes that some honey will keep the bee attracted long enough to make a real difference in what he plans to do--for the sake of the future of hunting and our reputation as hunters, seeing that we are fairly represented in what is portrayed.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

He is determned to go forward, and the only way to have any kind of true influence and or impact in the final product, is to remain soberminded, and to not be controlledin the emotional aspects of our passion. I truly want to see hunting around for my sons, and their sons. I don't want WHA or anything else to jeopardize its future, but if we want to influence its outcome, then we need to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves in our approach.
Great wisdom in those words, manuman...

I'm sorry; I did in fact see your original posting, but at the time I was just too emotionally drained from posting ad nauseum on the subject to deal with it one more time. I'm sorry no one else picked up on your original post. (I think ghemry did...if memory serves me correct)I am waiting to hear about the outcome of your dinner.

I was going to issue you a word of optimistic caution about meeting with what many portray as a silver-tongued charlatain, but it sounds as if you've got enough years on you (wisdom-wise, at least) to discern when someone's speaking out of both sides of their mouth. I do feel however, what you hear that night over dinner will probably not be representative of his true intentions. I've just seen enough disturbing remarks from him that lead me to think otherwise. We will wait to hear what he told you...
Old 08-25-2006, 10:07 AM

To put it in perspective, I am very skeptical about his 'forked tongue', but I am approaching this as I would if I were the PM of Israel meeting with the head of Hezbollah!But, if there isn't some true dialogue,and he is going to ramrod this thing through, I want to keep the door open for some positive change in the final product. I can be very persuasive when need beand have a background in apologetics, so I can defend my position well, with a bit of rapport thrown in--even with someone that I would normally distance myself from.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good to hear, manuman... And you're right about influencing the final product. I'm glad to see that the hunting community as a whole influenced it to the point where it's at in this stage of its development. I posted in another thread that what he's proposing nowadays isn't too much different than what's already out there (canned hunts, competitive situations, etc...)

At this point, my biggest problem lies in the role he's trying to assumein letting this fiasco speak for hunting and be representative as such.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:35 AM

If he is as truly sincere as he claims to be concerning our image and future, then he needs to take a long hard look at his motives and his presentation to that very end. That is what I want him to understand. If not, then I will call him on it,and expose it for what it now appears to be, and let him know just how opposed the overall community is,and will be. Then it will be time to pull out the rug from under him, in the form of advertisers.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

At this point, my biggest problem lies in the role he's trying to assumein letting this fiasco speak for hunting and be representative as such.
I'll agree with this.

But I'll add that the GPS tracking of mega bucks concerns me more than a little.
The general idea is that anyone would be able tolog in to WHA's website and track the movements of the penned deer online, thus creating an interactive experience.
Is this "God's vision" also, internet interaction with wildlife? 24 hour electronic surveillance of quarry? This is the envisioned future of our sport.
Manuman, I do hope you ask him about these issues.

Quick Reply: A hunter's stance on the WHA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.