Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A hunter's stance on the WHA >

A hunter's stance on the WHA

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A hunter's stance on the WHA

Old 08-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A hunter's stance on the WHA

It is very easy to tear something to shreds and point out everything we hate about it but it is much harder to come up with constructive criticism that may be used to change something negative to something with some positive potential or at the least a little more acceptance from the hunting community.
With all due respect, this is a case where shredding the idea is not only easy, its a mandate.

This isn't an idea that should be "entertained" at all. It should be repressed, stomped, squelched, and humiliated.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

I am going to somewhat repeat a post I made on this subject from another thread. I know many many people personally who do not hunt for various reasons. The large majority of these people do support hunting or at the very least don't have an axe to grind with the hunting tradition. I can assure you that many of these non-hunters will be much less supportive of hunting and hunters in general if a competitive league takes place and grows. We do not need the anti-hunting community to grow and I am sincere in saying that I believe this can and will take place if the WHA follows through with their fiasco. We need public sentiment on our side, not working against us.

Finally, I am very disturbed with Farbman stating that it is God's vision and he is going to carry it out. P.T. Barnum once said there is a sucker born every minute...................we don't need to be played as suckers and Farbman can not and will not represent me.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Fork Horn

I don't post a whole lot here, but this topic really interests me.

I think the WHA is quite possibly the worst hunting idea in a long time. The original idea of just using tranquilizer was absolutely horrible. The antis would have really eaten that up.

The new idea doesn't seem to much better though. First of all, I really hate the idea of all of this taking place on fenced in land. I don't think that really portrays the beautiful art of hunting in a good way. I don't think the format they use will really find out who the best hunter is. If the WHA really wanted to find out who the best hunter is, I think I have a format that would work much better.

Give every hunter 25 acres of land, and see how they manage it over the years. Being able to harvest a big buck one year doesn't exactly make you a good hunter. A lot of it is luck. But being able to manage land over a long period of time is a lot more difficult.

The last thing that bugs me is that they think that this idea is going to draw in more hunters. I really doubt it will do that. Hunting deer competively is just going to make the anti hunting organizations even more angry. Hunting isn't a competition, it is an art and a past-time. We shouldn't be hunting for fame and money, we should be hunting because it is fun.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:29 AM

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Not a bad idea Manuman,I am just skeptical about helping some one or steering them in a proper direction if I am uncertain about their motives.I give you a lot of credit for your open mindedness. A while back David Farbman emailed me twice looking to personally speak with me,between being very busy in my business life and my stubborness I really had no interest in speaking with him.It is hard for me because I always give someone the benefit of the doubt.I just have to hard a time looking beyond the farce he was originally proposing to give him any more consideration.
I understand---I justfigure that some face to face dialogue can expose th etruth behind the PR(also known as BS inthis case) I have a lot of experience dealing with this type of scenario, and have learned how to be very poignant and blunt when necesarry, without being abrasive--at least inmy demeanor. I let the facts, truth, pertinent stats, and in this case, with a lot of input from others,numbers, even maybe in the form of a petition like preotest with factors of concern cited. I am trying to be open minded, but I am mostly trying to be able to create the environment that affords the oppurtunity to confront him face to face, whichcarries more of a weighted impact.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I completely understand vc1111, also there was a lot more in my post so try not to take that particular quote out of context. We should voice our opposition, my point was what if that voice isn't enough to stop this thing. Everyone knows MONEY TALKS. Farbman seems set on pushing this thing through and that's what bothers me. Just because we don't want something to be doesn't mean a stubborn, profit minded businessman cares. If he thinks he can turn a profit he will continue to dump money into it. I guess I'm just worried about the finished product. Hopefully there won't be one but if there is what kind of image will be taken away from it.I know how I feel about it and it is not positive but like Washington Huntermentioned,what will a non-hunting, middle ground kind of person see and think about it.This whole thing brought to light an issue bigger thanthe WHA itself, I think that the commercialization of hunting has been headed down this road for a long time. Everyone is opposed to fenced hunting, but how many hunting shows do you see that representaverage hunters and real deer-woods. Most of the shows/dvd's are self promoting, ranch hunting, commercials at best. You can find outfittersfrom links hereat Hunting.Netthat advertise fenced hunting grounds with feed trucks and feeders, and if it's legalso be itbut thats not what I consider bowhunting.

South Texas Bowhunters - Inexpensive High Quality Bowhunts

Is that a problem. Not really but I dosee a little hypocracy in that.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

anyone??
Old 08-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

NEW61735:

With all due respect......

WHO CARES what "you" consider "bowhunting"? I'm not trying to be confrontational. I'm just stating the obvious. I'd like for you to ponder that.

I have no problems with hunters in their respective states taking game in a manner in which their state(s) deem "lawful". It would be quitenarrow mindedfor me to say that because NC lawstates thatit isillegal to hunt on Sundays..... any hunters who do so on Sundays in other states are going to Hell. Game laws are derived upon based on more than meets the eye. Your comment reminds me of an ad promotingbook burning.

Let me go out on a limb and guess that your state doesn't allow feeders or baiting???

Jeff

(and for the record....I've petitioned our NCWRC IN FAVOR of repealing the Sunday hunting ban)

Old 08-28-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was simply drawing a comparison between the WHA and other shows/dvd's in the hunting industry that use similiar techniques, and the fact that fenced hunting is common (even on this site)that would have been obvious had you read all of the posts fully. Yes you are way out on a limb and actually I think I hear it cracking. I havehunted in NC and VAfor the past 20 yearsand knowboth stateslaws on baiting but my main point in that post was about the fences. I have stated in several posts on different threads my belief that as long as a hunter is using alegal weapon to harvest legal game following his state & local game laws he has my support. That doesn't mean I have to agree withhis/her method.Usually when someone says "I'm not trying to be confrontational" they are trying tobe just that."Who cares?" what I consider bowhunting. Well that is simple, ME, I care and that is all that matters on a forum like this(open/opinions).I don't think sitting on a tripod stand next to a feeder with a feed truck driving around a fenced areaisbowhunting but I do acknowledge one thing,that is just my opinion. Iguess I struck a nerve with you by mentioning the baiting andthatdrew your attention away fromthe point I was trying to make. Bait on brother,I know plenty who do.

But here is something for you to ponder,

Ifeverything is so black and white then "Who Cares what the WHA considers hunting,who cares what the WHA is doing, why all the ruckus?

As long as it is legal, right SB.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

typo
Old 08-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

It's really quite simple New. In their first run at their format (darting)......I don't consider that "hunting" (emphasis on "I"). I was also one of the first to come out and say I thought they'd change the format.....due to the LEGALITY of the issue (read - ILLegality). In both cases.....I'd condemn what they STOOD for.....and may still have issues with what they may end up standing for. It won't be because they baited deer in a state in which it's legal to do so, though.

You didn't strike a nerve with me RE: baiting. Baiting is legal in NC. Do I bait deer? Legally - yes. Do I hunt over feeders? No. Do I keep my feeders up yr. round? Yes. Do I care what you think about my practices? No....but I care how you and other fellow hunters depict which methods/practices I employ while hunting within the letter of the law in my state.

That's all I was trying to say. I had hoped you would NOT find what I said confrontational. I'm sorry I didn't convey that, better.

Jeff

Quick Reply: A hunter's stance on the WHA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.