Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I wanna start cresting >

I wanna start cresting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I wanna start cresting

Old 01-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I wanna start cresting

Just a quick teaser before I get tomorrow's post up and running...

Here's a few I've done:

That's just a real quick run without worrying too much about getting the lines all evenly coated or spaced. You could play around a whole lot and get them looking very, very professional... but as I'm pretty much a pure bowhunter, they work great for me. And like I was telling Gibblet on another thread, I kinda like the "rough" look to them where you can see the brush strokes and everything... It lets people know they're looking at a one-of-a-kind custom job.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

trembow,

If you can wait... I promise tomorrow I'll crest up an arrow using my home-made cresting machine (made it for under $25) and I'll post a complete photo essay on it here in the bowhunting forum.

I've been meaning to do it for a while, as it should be very helpful to quite a few folks...
Okay Greg, I can wait....a little I'm gonna hold you to that promise though!

I'll prolly take PSEsilverhawk's method at first and focus on making a good cap (I think they call it) first. I need to get a fletching jig too and practice fletching.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:33 PM

Nifty looking arrows gibblet, it's cool to see one persons results after following another's advice. What better testimony can you get?

Are those blazer vanes? I've been thinking of trying them myself.

I have this sort of pipe-dream that I might become somewhat proficient as a custom arrow builder, even thought I've never built one. At the least I'd like to be able to make my own and make em pretty!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Just a quick teaser before I get tomorrow's post up and running...

Here's a few I've done:

That's just a real quick run without worrying too much about getting the lines all evenly coated or spaced. You could play around a whole lot and get them looking very, very professional... but as I'm pretty much a pure bowhunter, they work great for me. And like I was telling Gibblet on another thread, I kinda like the "rough" look to them where you can see the brush strokes and everything... It lets people know they're looking at a one-of-a-kind custom job.
Allright, NOW you really have to come through with your writeup! Nice looking arrows Greg!
Old 01-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mulled over the idea too. And it seemed costly when all was said and done. I decided to use the crest wraps and dont regret it.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Ive always wanted to get into it but i never have. But I have gotten into fly tiing and that brought me close to the sport so Im sure cresting will do the same
Old 01-28-2006, 09:31 PM

Cresting is awesome, no doubt about it. I, too have been tempted to give it a whirl. I have discovered the wraps, though......my, my, my.......It don't get any easier than that. Besides, if you ruin a fletch on a wrapped arrow, no problem. Little different with a crested arrow, you would need to repaint the arrow.

Wraps are simple, inexpensive, and really look neat. There are literally thousands to choose from.

Crap....sorry, didn't mean to hijack this. The plus side to cresting.....you can truely customize your arrows. You would have the ability to make something NOBODY on the planet has. And, I also think cresting looks better, if it's done right. I ordered a half dozen dipped and crested from.....well, let's say I ordered some, and they will be here this week. I'll post a pic when I get them. They will be awesome!

Greg/MO here has posted a great thread on cresting, and hopefully we can get enough members here testing their creative talents. If we put our heads together, I am confident we can master this thing.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, mobowhuntr. Here's the link to that one in case someone finds this thread before they do the one you referred to: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1399868