Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I wanna start cresting >

I wanna start cresting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I wanna start cresting

Old 01-26-2006, 10:13 AM

Default I wanna start cresting

I'm thinking about giving custom arrow cresting a try.

Anybody into this and have any suggestions?

Bohning has a "starter kit" for about $130 bucks. Anybody have any thoughts on this kit?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I wanna start cresting

Do a search on here there have been a lot of guys who have been spray cresting their arrows.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

whats cresting??
Old 01-26-2006, 02:49 PM

hey, if you shoot carbon arrows Blackhawk makes a shaft with cresting in the shaft . won't scratch or peel. comes- camo , black ,and i think wood finish too. i saw 2 types a white crest and flames also.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:23 PM

Whitecloudhuter,,

A crest is on the end of the arrow under the fletching, they have ones that u can buy that are self-adhesive, but as Ausie said some actully use spray paint to add a crest of the end of their arrows,, which i have done and is faily easy to do

i would start off by doing a search on here, but basicallly all u need to do is,,

Go to wal-mart or a hardware store and purchase a can of Rust-o-leum specialty lacquer and maybe some masking tape if u aint got none

first go and prep the arrow shaft as you would if u were about to fletch it, then

take the masking tape and place it around the arrow shaft were u want the crest to end, and also down the shaft a little to prevent any of thepaint thatwill spray over geting on the shaft if u have removealbe nock pull them out or you can tape over them.

Then spray lightly the arrow shaft till it is white, (or what ever colour uhavechoosen) then let it dry, I do my in 4 or 5 very light coat till it is white, then let it set, usallyi let it set til it is dry to the touch, then i go and glue the fletchings on. that is how i do it i hope i did leave anything out of it.

i would give this a try first before spending the 130 bucks on the cresting kit,,if u dont like how they turned out then you can drop the green on the kit.just my .10
Old 01-26-2006, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should go take a pic of my crestings...they're beautful! BRB
Old 01-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go...stupid size limits. How do you guys get around the 100k limit w/jpegs?

Old 01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

trembow,

If you can wait... I promise tomorrow I'll crest up an arrow using my home-made cresting machine (made it for under $25) and I'll post a complete photo essay on it here in the bowhunting forum.

I've been meaning to do it for a while, as it should be very helpful to quite a few folks...
Old 01-26-2006, 05:40 PM

here's a couple i did with that very machine, but greg's homemade one would get you out about $90 cheaper after buying supplies.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:45 PM

Ive seen that Cabelas has sticky wrap arounds that wofk just as well bet are like a sticker. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: I wanna start cresting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.