Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 wanna start muzzle loading >

wanna start muzzle loading

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

wanna start muzzle loading

Old 11-08-2008, 07:12 PM
nap

Default wanna start muzzle loading

I wanna start muzzle loading but i know very little about it. I don't know whats a good gun, what bullets to use, what scope, what i need to buy, and how its all done. can someone help me out.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: wanna start muzzle loading

Since you live in Wisconsin, anything goes as long as there is no magnification in the scope. Depending on what you want to spend and what kind of hunting conditions you encounter, this would help determine what to purchase.

For instance, I just outfitted a Remington Genesis with a 1x scope, and have been real pleased with 100 grains of Pyrodex P and a 300 grain .44 caliber Hornady XTP in a green harvester crushed rib sabot.

I suggest you go to some sporting good stores and look at rifle and see which ones you like and what you want to spend. Or look on line at Thompson Center Arms, Knight Rifles, Traditions Firearms, CVA firearms, and look at the different rifles they offer. See if any of them catch your eye. If they do, we'd be glad to tell you about them.

With no scope, many of us are limited to 100 yards because of eye sight and talent. So even the traditional rifles will do that, and give you a heck reason to brag to your friends. So look around and see what you find.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nap

I wanna start muzzle loading but i know very little about it. I don't know whats a good gun, what bullets to use, what scope, what i need to buy, and how its all done. can someone help me out.
Well since you don't know anything, I would choose an inexpensive rifle or a used rifle to get started, since you don't know if your going to get "into it". Look in your local want ads for a Knight, a CVA or a TC. If you wanna buy new, I would buy a Triumph, i would shoot 100g of Blackhorn and I woudl shoot a Barnes MZ 300g from that gun. To do some reading on what to buy see this:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

SELECTING AND BUYING MUZZLELOADERS:[*]Beware the First Year Models (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Buying A New Muzzleloader? (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]How to Select a New Muzzleloader (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Rating the Inline Muzzleloading Manufacturers (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Recommended Muzzleloader Brands (Article by the G&S Online Staff)[*]Want to Buy an Inline? A Short History of Modern Inline Design (Article by Randy D. Smith)[*]What Makes for a Good Muzzleloader (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]What Muzzleloader Should I Buy? (Article by Randy Wakeman)

SIGHTS AND SCOPES:[*]How Mil-Dot and Ballistic Reticle Scopes Work (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Hunting Scopes for Inline Muzzleloaders (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Muzzleloader Scopes: Make Mine a Fixed Power Model! (Opinion by Chuck Hawks)[*]Recommended Muzzleloading Scopes by Price (Opinion by Randy Wakeman)[*]Should Muzzleloaders Be Scoped? (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Sightron SI 1x20mm Black Powder Scope (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Sights and Scopes for Your Muzzleloader (Article by Randy D. Smith)
Chap
Old 11-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Cayugad has put up a good post as usual. In fact, he had talked me into getting a Genesis after reading his post on his. And for $135 + a $35 mail in rebate you can't go wrong.
If you want to go the traditional route I'd look into the Thompson Center Hawken. You may also want to check out the used racks for a T/C Hawken or Renegade. If you pick up a caplock one of the quickest ways I have found to determine if it was maintained properly is to check the area around the nipple and the bore. I've found that if the nipple area (the snail) is clean and free of pitting there is a good chance the bore is also in good condition. A CVA bore light is worth the price of <$10 for checking the bores of muzzies at the gun shop. Then check the lock to be sure it works properly.
Depending on you budget - the more you have the more choices you will have. But be forewarned - Once you start, you can't stop.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nap

If your looking for used, here are several:

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/813usedblkpowderguns.htm

Chap