Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blinds

Old 01-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ground Blinds

I am in the market for a good ground blind... Are there any that compare favorably to the Double Bull Models? I don't mind spending the money if it is worth it.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 PM

Default RE: Ground Blinds

Mine is called a Guide Gear Pro Series Archers Blind. I got mine from Sportsmans Guide. Here is a link to the one I got.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=206357

I hope that doesn't break any club rules. If it does, just delete it. I don't care. Just trying to help him out.

I really love mine for Turkey. Personally don't like it for deer, but that is just a preferrence. I think that the deer take too much notice of it. I have had some walk right up to it. Others stop 100 yards away and stare. I also brush my blind in VERY well. I think that they smell it more than see it, but sometimes something makes them wary. As wary as they are already - no point in adding to it.

As far as comfort...TOTALLY a ton of room, and really comfortable to sit in. I HIGHLY recommend them for Turkey.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

The best that works for me is ghillie material and veggitation from my hunting spots. This way I always look like my surroundings and not just close enough. Its cheaper too!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a nearly identical model , and it works well unless you're shooting a trad bow , they tend to be too long for most tent style blinds . Stay away from pyramidal shaped ones like the Ameristed Outhouse , your upper limb will slap the wall every time . I have one , and they're excellent for gun hunting for one person , but they suck for archery .

Personally , I wouldn't waste my money on a DB , not that they don't make a very fine product , but they are ridiculously overpriced compared to the vast array of choices in the market . You could literally buy a brand new competing blind every year for the price ofmost of theDB line and put your savings to better use . I have several different pop-up blinds to suit a variety of hunting situations because I determined that an overpriced one or two scenario blind wouldn't serve my needs . A tent is pretty much a tent , buy what works for your conditions , not a bag of hype , and once you brush one in they're all pretty much the same .
Old 01-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ameristep,great products,great prices,love my Penthouse blind!

Old 01-14-2006, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a bigger one than you think you need. I have the Penthouse, which I really like,after buying three others that all proved too small for bowhunting. Especially when I take one of my kids.
Good luck.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get the Double Bull Matrix! DB blinds are more money but they are worth it. Made out of poly cotton vs. nylon. The advantage is you do not have the sheen and poly cotton is stiffer. There for it wont flap in the wind like nylon. Also DB uses Predator deception which is great for blending in the blind. The camo pattern is 40% larger then your realtree or mossy oak camo. Which are great patterns but a little to small for ground blinds. For an example the military doesnt use the same scale on there clothing as they would a tank! Also DB doesnt have any loose rods that you have to worry about losing. DB also have a lifetime warranty on there frame work. What ever your choice is just make sure you draw your bow in it before you buy one. Hope this helps you.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

None compare. If you hunt a lot from a ground blind, you'll be money ahead with a DB. If you only use it for a week a year, you could be OK with one of the cheaper ones. Not to mention, DB's customer service is much better.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

I do have some experience with ground blinds... I have an Ameristep cheap small one.. Don't really like it at all, although I have killed three turkey from it... But Turkey are dumb animals and aren't observant of their surroundings as much as predators/deer. I don't like that it makes a TON of noise when the wind blows (even mildly). Are all the blinds this loud in the wind?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
neb
Typical Buck

I have had many blinds and have hunted for many years out of them. The DB just beats every other blindout there. Spend the money and get one. You will never buy another blind as long as you live. Has a lifetime and I really don't think you could could break one. You will not be sorry if you buy one.