Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lighted nocks are the coolest things ever >

Lighted nocks are the coolest things ever

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lighted nocks are the coolest things ever

Old 08-21-2005, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lighted nocks are the coolest things ever

Wouldn't that include flashlights? [&:]
..Heh heh if it was mountedon the bow or the arrow then, yes it would.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think they are pretty cool and a great idea. Have been kicking the idea around on getting some, but I just haven't been able to stomach the price yet. That seems really steep. I hope they come down in price...I will get some. My guess is that most state laws were written w/o even considering lighted nocks.I think mainly they are talking about lighted sights and such.

Heck if you get some of those, and some high dollar bh's, you are shooting a $350-400/dozen set of arrows OUCH
Old 08-21-2005, 10:01 AM

I have been using a unit that is somewhat like (hagshouse) uses but I believe it's a little easier to put together. I've used these for over five years with excellent results. I will attach a picture so you may look at the steps that are taken.
1. I start with a GoldTip nock ( the one that has the screw to tighten it to the arrow shaft) it has a hole already thru the nock.
2. Remove screw and drill out the nock using a #20 drill bit set to depth of approximatly 3/4 inch.
3. I use a little flat head nail cut to 1/4 inch as a firing pin.
4. The Trill light (available at Wally World). I first insert the firing pin coated with a little string wax (this keeps it from falling out while working with the light).
5. Work the Trill light on/off a few times to limber it up. Leave it in the offposition. Push the firing pin down in the nock so that it is level with the bottom of the nock slot.Insert theTrill light from the bottomuntil the firing pin moves up about 1/16th inch into the nock slot. Insert the nock into your arrow shaft.and adjust as necessaryandwhen firedthe string will push the firing pin down turning on the light. When you recover the arrow just pull the nock and shut off light and you may reuse it several times.
6. I use GoldTip 55/75 shafts and this works fine.However if the light or nock is loose in your size shaft just wrap a littleTeflon thread tape around light as you insert it into nock. This will tighten both the light to nock and the nock to shaft fit.

Have Fun
Ron

Old 08-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice Rokonred!
Old 08-21-2005, 11:12 AM

I use the brand, Tracer nock and I am very happy with them.
The batteries last a long time, are replacable and reasonable in price. I bought backup batteries at the local Battery Plus store.
The hunter model burns for about 11 hours continious if you do not shut it off with the magnet and the practice model I believe stays lite for 15 seconds after first illuminated.
Any added weight to the arrow will effect arrow flight but once installed and sighted in they fly true just like any other nock. Just remember if you use a light weight broadhead, you want to keep the arrow forward weighted. If you increase the weight at the nock and arrow fight changes a little you may want to increase broad head weight to maintain that forward weighting.

I took my ID elk with them two years ago and they work fantastic.
I have also taken whitetail and inboth low light and mid day they make tracing the arrow flight unbelievable.

And yes they are just plian cool to watch in flight.

I e-mailed the gentleman in TX the distributes them and advised him of this thread. Maybe he'll log on and enlighten us a bit more
Old 08-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

As per "John S". a PA WCO on Huntingpa.com........Lighted arrow nocks are LEGAL in the state of PA
Old 08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those light knocks are cool but a small piece of reflective tape right below the knock will work just as well and a lot cheaper...ive used them for years.

DD

Old 08-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

At 10 bucks apiece, I'll stick with mine.