Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cheap cure for Crud Ring Disease >

Cheap cure for Crud Ring Disease

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cheap cure for Crud Ring Disease

Old 01-23-2005, 07:58 AM

Default RE: Cheap cure for Crud Ring Disease

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

It seems like you misinterpreted / overreacted...or just wanted to make a sharp edged response...I never even hinted that what you're doing is stupid, and there was no mention or inference of TC.
==============================================

That's where we disagree Roundball! I was trying to be polite/cordial to you. I know what we do is NOT stupid.

You see..You have a habit of posting after discussions like crud rings, solvents, repeated shot difficulty.... etc. You make shooting sound so easy in your narrow-minded world of roundballs/Bore Butter. You don't try to get involved in our discussions about sabots, plastic, copper solvents, blackpowder subs... etc. You always come into threads like this one with a 180 degree curveball.

A large majority of shooters asking questions about modern bullets & rifles are FORMER roundball shooters (or) shooters who have modern & traditional MLs. These same posters already know the world of roundballs & have already made a financial & mental decision to go another ML course. So many times, your continued same-ol' --- same-ol' talk about sloshes of bore butter in the bore & inexpensive roundballs producing a million shots without swabbing gets old in threads like this.

You have the right to discuss your opinions in a free internet message board as you see fit. But when you come into a sabot discussion with ..."it seems like we sometimes create problems that we don't even have to have".... that's where the problem with your post occurs. Sabots are superior to roundballs. Subs like 777 & Black Mag-3 are superior to your Goex in most situational uses. We cannot use your Wonderlube 1000 with sabots. We cannot shoot all day without swabbing. We need to use harsh solvents sometimes. We prefer storing oils over your Wonderlube 1000 as a bore protector with these modern MLs.

I shoot roundballs & use Wonderlube on occasion. I get alot of shots off without swabbing too. But you don't see mee/read me talking about it during a modern muzzleloading discussion.

Nuthin' stupid about that Mr. Roundball..... actually it's pretty smart. Try it sometime! I do know you shoot modern MLs. Join the discussion about them instead of trying to disrupt it. I'm done here & hopefully you'll begin to share with these posters your ideas about sabots, blackpowder subs & harsh cleaners.

And you have a posting track record of sharp attack responses, know it all attitude so we'll just agree to disagree.
Inlines? Thanks anyway...been there, done that...it's old news...have an MK85 with Leupold up for sale right now...haven't used it in years.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:19 PM

I don't know a whole lot about the crud ring problem, except that I shoot 777 and do have a crud ring after a round of shooting. This just doesn't seem to be a problem, a cleaning with hot soapy water and a little brush stroke or two and it is gone. I don't think that I will have a problem unless I fail to take care of my rifle (Encore), which will never happen. I am a 24 year law enforcement officer and weapons to me can mean life or death and mine will be clean and working properly.

Swatts
Old 01-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Spike

I am shooting Rem STS 209s and 777 and only get two easy bullet seatings then they push hard in the last couple inches till seated on the 3rd load. I am loading 80gr 777 and 295 PB bullets. If I run a damp patch through then dry patch it works pretty good again.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:34 PM

I shoot T7, get the crud ring and dont mind it.The accuracy,velocity, and ease of cleaning outway the CRUD "ring".And my home,truck,and clothes dont smell like rotten eggs.My encore w/120grns shoots .5-.75 all day.Every deer I shot only had to be shot once, and while the smoke was clearing I already was running a spit patch down and was ready to load another!!NO big deal.

PETE
Old 01-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the original intent of this post was to inform folks of an excellent deal on primers and to point out that cooler primers do tend to minimize the crud ring problem.

I've not ordered any yet but do appreciate being told of the no HAZMAT situation - which, by the way, seems to also apply to caps ordered from there.

How they can do it without charging the HAZMAT fee is something that more dealers should look into.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep... just purchased 1000 RWS/Dynamit Nobel #1075 caps today for $21.50 from D & R. That particular primer cap was not listed under "Primers' like the Rem 209-4s. I found ithe RWS listed under Muzzleloading Accessories there.

Sorry to get in a "verbal rif" with you Roundball. I still look forward to reading your ML thoughts on various message boards. I hold no grudges... we just have different opinions on how - when - where - why to post. No big deal to me... hopefully you too!
Old 01-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Triple Se7en did the 1000 RWS/Dynamit Nobel #1075 caps fall under that haz mat fee? I think if they are willing to send them it would be a good time to stock up.... It seems I am always running out to get some caps or something and for me we are talking an 70 mile round trip. I figure buy the whole works and maybe a rifle at the same time. That should get everyone here upset...
Old 01-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

The crud ring relates to shooting sabots or powerbelts in dry barrels from inline rifles.

Triple Se7en makes a good point here, using primers that are on the "cooler" side do tend to produce less
buildup in the breech area regardless of which powder you are using.

Roundball & Cayugad make a good point as with Goex black powder, the breech area buildup inside the barrel is softer and if you are shooting patched/lubed roundballs, allow for multiple shots without the build up becoming an issue.

I like Winchester Primers, which are not as hot as several other mfg's.

There is more buildup down near the breech area with any powder.

In my experience, with 777 this build up (or Crud Ring) phenomena is more difficult than other powders as it seems to be much harder and crustier than other powders.

It becomes an issue if you are not swabbing between shots, as loading sabots will eventually become impossible.

This is not to say that 777 is not a fine synthetic powder, it is. Goex is also a fine traditional powder.
777 (Like everything else) has it's own characteristics that often require either procedure or equipment adjustment to optimize or refine it's usage.

It was looking like fisticuffs in here for a few threads. [:@]
Hopefully Triple Se7en and Roundball can be amigo's again.