Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 crud ring how to cure? >

crud ring how to cure?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

crud ring how to cure?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:36 AM

Default crud ring how to cure?

I am shooting a encore and never have had this problem until last year and this year it seems worse. I changed powder to 777 and primers to the 777 and also changed bullets to the 250g shockwave. The gun shoots great 5 shot group at 100 yards and all bullets are touching. I run a bore butter patch after every shot just like i alwasy have but now its all i can do to get the ram rod out of the barrel after the first run then it will move freely. I have been reading about this problem but this is crazy my dads knight doesnt have this problem and my encore use to not do it. Any ideas on what to do?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: crud ring how to cure?

Switch to Pyrodex R-S or Goex FFF.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:52 AM

I was shooting pyrodex r-s and still had the same problem. This was my first try with 777 on sunday and seemed to have about the same crud ring that the pyrodex had. The thing that gets me is that it just started last year have had the gun now for about 4or 5 years and never have had this problem?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you changed something else like plug grease or protective oil? Have you tried a new breech plug. That one may be eroded enough to need replacement if you have done a lot of shooting.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

In that case, ditch the bore butter and use a good quality gun oil...I run 3 dampened rubbing alcohol patches through the bore (both sides)...Then a dry patch, then a lightly oiled patch followed by a dry patch between each shot.

Bore butter came out when we all used side hammers, they have deeper rifling, it is not designed for the shallow grove inline rifles....T/C marketed this in their ads that the bore would be "seasoned", like a cast iron fry pan...Barrel steel is not cast iron, it can't be seasoned...That myth lives on, even with the inlines...

Does the bullet slide down the barrel smoothly when the barrel is clean???
I tried 777 a few years ago, it left a tight place in my Knight, after cleaning...
I ended up lapping the barrel and giving the 777 to a buddy.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM

nchawkeye once the barrel is clean after a few swabs the bullets goes in great and the patches go in great its just the first swab after you shoot the gun. underclocked i checked the breach plug out before i put it in the gun and it looked really good no signs of been eroded. The patchs slide real good until i get to where the bullet sit and then you have to really push the rod to get it past this point then its all you can do to pull the patch out. If not for t handle i dont think you could get it out.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

"The patchs slide real good until i get to where the bullet sit and then you have to really push the rod to get it past this point then its all you can do to pull the patch out." Bingo!

Get rid of the bore butter (I missed that before my first post). Try some JB (or whatever it is named now) bore paste or Flitz and try to smooth that area out. That roughness is the source of your problem. I hope it isn't also deep pitting.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Wildpair: Just out of curiosity; where are you and what are the weather conditions? I have an Omega that has generated the crud ring from hell no matter what I do. I am in Arizona and I believe that the humidity (rather lack of humidity) may be part of the crud ring problem. I finally gave up on Tripple Seven and went to Black Mag'3 which works in the Omega of course now it is not available until next year so they say. I also bought a couple of other rifles just as a possible solution. My Omega shoots well but it does not like Tripple Seven. Pyrodex does not make a severe crud ring and can be removed with a wet patch. The Tripple Seven ring requires a brass brush to remove. I also tried all three T/C breechplug designs with no help. I have never used bore butter and the barrel is extremely clean before shooting so I don't believe it is any lubricant fouling problem. I converted to the .25ACP primer system which has improved the condition of the crud ring from severe to just bad. Sometimes I can get it out with just a wet patch with the conversion and small rifle primers.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wildpair
I run a bore butter patch after every shot...
Throw that stuff away...
Old 10-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

The patchs slide real good until i get to where the bullet sit
It's hard to tell without actually holding the gun and trying myself but from this line it sounds like its normal...When you clean, take short strokes and work your way down to the area where the powder and bullet are...It's normal to have some buildup in this area...A crud ring is actually a few inches above the area where the bullet is.....

You might also try dropping the powder charge down to 100grs, that's plenty for deer...You could also try a little more cleaning fluid on the cleaning patch...

Quick Reply: crud ring how to cure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.