Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Crud ring on the other end >

Crud ring on the other end

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Crud ring on the other end

Old 11-08-2004, 07:26 AM

Default Crud ring on the other end

Took my ML to the range yesterday , fired off a total of 7 shots. No swabbing between shots etc. and was able to keep 3" groups at 100yds with open sights. What I did notice was that a ring , which seemed to be plastic residue from the sabots , developed at the end of the barrel. This made loading the 4-7th shots difficult. This is a different "crud" ring from what the rest of you guys have been talking about where the bullet "seats". Any ideas on how to avoid this ? I was thinking powerbelts, since I'm using a CVA.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crud ring on the other end

Any ideas on how to avoid this ? I was thinking powerbelts, since I'm using a CVA.
=============================================

By swabbing more often... perhaps every 2nd shot like most of us do! All you need is a small, empty spray bottle & fill it 50-50 with Windex & rubbing alcohol... works marvelous for cutting fouling & carbon.

You will also need to discard the almost-assured weak "Blackpowder Cleaner Solvent" you are probably using (T/C-13 & others) & purchase a solvent that removes plastic. It will say-so on the label. If you are shooting copper-clad bullets, you'll need a solvent that removes copper.

Failure to do so will eventually result in declining accuracy... sometimes rapidly.... like overnite!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:57 AM

its only a 1/4 inch white ring at the end of the barrel , just licked my finger and rubbed , came right off. This is being cause by the plastic of the sabots correct ? Accuracy didnt change , just the ease of getting the bullet in past the ring.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Then you should develop a routine of licking your finger and rubbing.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:47 AM

already have that routine for the wife ...might as well us it for the ML too
Old 11-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

just blew my coffee through my nose and onto the screen...
Old 11-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

slugman....................

That sounds like powder residue, not melted plastic sabot residue. A wet finger will take powder residue right off - but plastic has to be scrubbed/dissolved off.

How much of what kind of powder are you using?? That will tell the tale of your situation I think.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:37 AM

80 grains of 777 ...loose
Old 11-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mark's real-real close with residue theory... actually he's 99% right. The 1% he's missing in his post is what turns the fouling white. That is salt concentration from your powder.... usually occurs after the bore has not been cleaned for a spell or been left out in the open air of your home, garage, auto... etc -- not hardly related to plastic fouling there. Best to keep your fouled MLs in a hard shell, poly-foam gun case that keeps it air-tight inside your home after range work. When hunting with a fouled bore, you can do the same but the rifle temperature must be acclimated from cold to warm much more slowly.

Remember what I mentioned about cleaners.. use the proper ones & swab frequently for best accuracy & easier removal of bore gunk.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:13 PM

what turns the fouling white. That is salt concentration from your powder.... usually occurs after the bore has not been cleaned for a spell or been left out in the open air of your home, garage, auto... etc
I clean after every trip to the range or shooting. The ring is only a 1/4 " wide at the end of the barrel.

Best to keep your fouled MLs in a hard shell, poly-foam gun case that keeps it air-tight inside your home after range work
Have heard the opposite , my dads ithica was kept in a foam case with poly foam. When I took it out the other day the foam "fingers" had left what looked like fingerprints all over the gun. I keep my firearms in a gunsafe when stored. 8 out of 10 ppl I've asked state to never keep your guns stored in a case

Quick Reply: Crud ring on the other end

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.