Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First time muzzleloader hunter >

First time muzzleloader hunter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First time muzzleloader hunter

Old 10-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First time muzzleloader hunter

ORIGINAL: FG
www.powerbeltbullets.com and look at the chart, it will tell you how high to sight in at 100 and where you will be at 200. Never attempt a shot on a live animal unless you have tried it on paper first to see where it actually will hit!

150gr load in that wolf would be terrible with recoil.
these charts are really helpful. and worth a look for any ML hunter

thanks FG
Old 10-23-2008, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gotbuck

Welcome to the forum, I shoot 100 gr pellets with the 250 gr Shockwaves out of my Traditions and you can definitely hit the 200 yd range and drop em if you do your part. You may want to search around here on talks about powerbelts. There are mixed emotions on their performance if you push them too hard. I think most that use them use loose powder in order to get the maximum out of their bullet. Good luck in IL I think out of state permits are 250 and up, better get a big one.
First welcome to the forum, since you will be taking longer shots with a shorter barrel rifle, there are better bullet choices than a PB. Barnes TMZ comes to mind and a Shockware, are better bullets for that longer shooting. Also loose powder is better, better ignition, better burning, etc. Also I would buy a can of Blackhorn 209 and try it, since it is clearner burning and more powerful than 777 pellets.
You practice a lot with your bow, do the same with the MLer, and have fun.
Best Wishes,
Chap Gleason
Old 10-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll look at loose powder and the other brands of bullets next year since I've already bought the PB 270 grain bulllets and powder pellets. So with what I've got available, I'll go with two 50 grain pellets.

cayugad: Yes, the gun is scoped (4x12). I'm new to a muzzleloader, not a firearm. I've fired a couple dozen shots through it and it's dead on at 100 yards wth roughly 1-1/2" groups. Not as accurate as my .243, but better than I expected. I haven't fired a shot with it at 200 yards but plan to this weekend.

FG: I appreciate the website. Very helpful.

sjsfire: "Cheap Ole Wolf"....that's exactly why I bought it, cheap....at Walmart nonetheless. I didn't want to invest a lot of money in something I may only do once. Plus the IL tag was $300 and it'll be another $50 or so for the license and habitat stamp

Thanks again fellas.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't intentionally shoot for the shoulder with those PBs you should be OK.