Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First time muzzleloader hunter >

First time muzzleloader hunter

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First time muzzleloader hunter

Old 10-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default First time muzzleloader hunter

I primarily bowhunt whitetail deer, but this year I decided togivethe IL firearm season a shotand I will be using a muzzleloader. This will be my first experience hunting with a muzzleloader. Here's what I'll be using:

CVA Wolf .50 cal using 270 grain powerbelt platinum bullets and the pelletized powder.

I would most likely havea shooting opportunity inside of 100 yards, but there's a possibility ofa 180 yard shot in one area that I would be hunting.

My question is, would you recommend 100 grains of powder or 150 grains with that particular bullet at those yardages?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: First time muzzleloader hunter

Doubled 150

Welcome to ML hunting - i think you will find it gripping...

I can not think of a good reason to shoot 150 grains of anything, especially from a Wolf (as I think the Wolf is a shorter barreled ML).

I am certainly not an expert on the use of PB's but from your Wolf 100 grains will work just fine with most any bullet you choose to shoot + it will be or should be very accurate. You as a bowhunter know the value of accuracy.

This is just me so do not take it to heart, but there are better choices of projectiles out there than the PB (sorta like your personal choice of a broadhead)and I am thinking FG would recommend a further reduced charge than 100 grains. But with the Platinums maybe not.

A 180 yard shot is do'able but there will varibles as there are in Archery...

Good luck - shooting a ML and hunting with a ML is pure fun...

Old 10-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the forum, I shoot 100 gr pellets with the 250 gr Shockwaves out of my Traditions and you can definitely hit the 200 yd range and drop em if you do your part. You may want to search around here on talks about powerbelts. There are mixed emotions on their performance if you push them too hard. I think most that use them use loose powder in order to get the maximum out of their bullet. Good luck in IL I think out of state permits are 250 and up, better get a big one.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome friend,If you choose to use the Powerbelt dont push it that hard. and 80 - 90 grain charge is all thats needed.I agree that there is no need for a 150grain charge.
I have to remind myself of that from time to time as i get caught up in advertising hype and I need to remember that a whitetail deer is not a larger thick skinned animal and there is no need for overkill.
I am reading about heavier bullets with slover speeds and they are doing just fine.
I love my powerbelts but there are also many other good choices for your new gun.Try some and use what works for you
Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

First off welcome to the sport. I hope this rifle is scoped and you practice a lot before you try a 180 yards shot. These rifles do not behave like normal rifles. I am sure you are going to hit the range and work with the rifle. So don't take my first couple lines the wrong way.

As for your powder charge.. if you're shooting powerbelts, then I would shoot loose powder and shoot 80-90 grains is all. That is still more then enough juice to take a deer at those distances.. if you can hit them.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:28 PM
FG

100gr with the 270 will hold together. www.powerbeltbullets.com and look at the chart, it will tell you how high to sight in at 100 and where you will be at 200. Never attempt a shot on a live animal unless you have tried it on paper first to see where it actually will hit!

150gr load in that wolf would be terrible with recoil.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stick with 100 gr. if the barrel is not "long". I have no experience with the platinum powerbelts.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome, Glad to hear from another hunter that bought the "cheap ole CVA Wolf" I just started using a MZ last year in Illinois and am 2 for 2 with my Wolf. My hunting load is a W209 primer, 2 50gr Pyrodex pellets, Barnes 300gr MZ Expander with Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. It shoots well for being a lower priced gun. Here's my recent group of four shots, 1 inch at100 yards. Sorry the picture is kinda fuzzy.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is another promising report on the CVA Wolf from my good friend Bigtimer and my little buddy Tyler

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3096911

I saw them at Wal Mart
Looks like a fine gun
Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: saxman1

Here is another promising report on the CVA Wolf from my good friend Bigtimer and my little buddy Tyler

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3096911

I saw them at Wal Mart
Looks like a fine gun

If our Walmarts still sold firearms and I could get them for $80 at the end of the season like others have said, I'd buy a couple more just for giggles and grins.

Quick Reply: First time muzzleloader hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.