Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Help first time muzzleloader user >

Help first time muzzleloader user

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help first time muzzleloader user

Old 12-08-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Help first time muzzleloader user

Hey guys,

Next weekend I'll be hunting with my T/C Omega for the first time. I'm using two pellets of 50 gr Pyro and 250 gr. TC shockwave bullets. I'll be hunting Delaware county in upstateNew York. I need some advice from some of the experienced muzzleloader / black powder hunters in our group.

First off.... What do you guys do at the end of a hunt,either at lunch time orthe end of the daydo I need to unload the rifle before I drive back to my cabin (on public roads) in my car or can I just remove the 209 primer? Is just removeing the primer safe and legal?

When I hunt with my .30-06I usually leave it in my car overnight so as not to get condensation on it going from the outside cold to the warmth inside. Should I do the same with the Omega if I don't have to unload it for the trip back.

Thanks in advance for all the help ............... Joe
Old 12-08-2006, 06:21 PM

Default RE: Help first time muzzleloader user

if you're allowed to. I just take my primer out and leave the gun in the truck or i take it in the camper over night. Ive never had any issues with bringing it in from cold/warm temps. Just check your hunting laws and make sure they allow you to carry a charged muzzleloader. My state requires me to take the primer,cap or pan powder out before traveling in a motor vechicle.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

If your hunting laws declare that a rifle is technically unloaded if the primer is removed or the pan cleaned of prime, then you can leave the load in the rifle after removing your primer. Just be sure to check the law. As for storing, leave it in your car trunk. Be sure to wipe the outside of the rifle down with a cloth with some gun oil just to make sure that the outside is protected. If you want you could unload the rifle by taking the breech plug out and pushing the load out the barrel. The choice is yours. I am sure some Omega owners will speak up here.

Good luck deer hunting. You have a great rifle, and great load..
Old 12-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most states allow the removal of the primer for transportation purposes. Keep the gun around the same temperature as the elements you are hunting in - inside the vehicle or elsewhere like a shed, garage.... etc.

I don't recommend Pyrodex pellets and multiple day hunts. I've read enough misfire/hangfire reports doing that. I only do multiple-day hunts with the samepowder using loose powder-only ... ie....real blackpowder or 777.

That's been my experiences.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

I pull the primer and put a fired primer in to close the powder charge to the atmosphere. In Arizona it is not much of a problem. We are also allowed to carry a loaded rifle or pistol in the vehicle so that is not part of the problem. I just pull the primer for safety reasons. I suspect in New York there are much more strict requirments. Check well before You get in trouble. You could also get one of the co2 dischargers to eliminate having to fire the rifle to unload it. Be careful using those as the bullet still comes out pretty fast.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:48 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advise it's a beg help.

Joe
Old 12-11-2006, 07:30 PM

I have been shooting Muzzloaders for a long time just like its been posted remove your cap and it wil be ok. als oI have brought my gun inside with no bad effects but if the temp diffrence is too great I leave it in my trunk or garage so it will not sweat.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:57 PM

Hey Guys,

Just got back from my hunt and thought I'd post that I didn't have to worry weather or not to keep the gun inside or outside overnight because I took my deer the first afternoon I hunted. This is my first deer with a muzzleloader.

Thought it was a doe with a decent size body but it turned out to be a button buck with 2" spikes .

The only shot I had was 90 to 100 yds. in the rain and this was only after I watched him for 20 minutes come in from about 200 yds. It wasduskand rainyovercast and with a 4X scopeI didn't see the spikes. I actually didn't see the spikes with my 8X binoculars and thefunny part is, I could have shot this deer twice during the special archery seasonbut I let him go.

At first I felt bad about taking a possible next years' buck,but hey its been two years since I hadvenision in the freezer, I never took anything with the muzzleloader and thiswould bemy last chance for meat this year, so I took the shot and now I'm glad I did.

Next year I'll raise the standard again andI'llwait for a large doe or a minimum 4 point for me to take the shot with the muzzleloader.

Thanks again for all the answers to my questions ............
Old 12-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

congratulations on the deer. Sometimes those small spikes are real hard to spot. They have to be standing just rifle and then you might see them. At least you will have some good eating...
Old 12-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

nydeerhntr,Congratulations on the deer.
Also I just came in from hunting in the rain with a fairly new Omega and when I pushed the load out there was some moisture gathered on the powder side of the breach plug; there for in damp conditions I will push the load out from now on. Lee

Quick Reply: Help first time muzzleloader user

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.