Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelts

Old 10-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Powerbelts

after ML hunting last year and being disappointed with the powerbelts i figured i'd try them 1 more year. i also went from a 245gr to a 295gr powerbelt in hopes i would get better penetration and projectile retention. last year both of the 245gr powerbelts (150 grains of pyrodex) i shot deer with fragmented and had little penetration. both shots were ranged at approximately 75 yards.

this year i went with 295gr powerbelts in hopes of better bullet performance. i shot a 10 point at 45 yards in the neck and the powerbelt once again fragmented into nothing and did not exit the neck. before i get the "use less powder" lectures, my groups with the 3 pellets are phenominal(sp?). i use the pellets for the convienance and am happy with the accuracy. my friend also uses the pyrodex pellets but he only shoots 100gr (2 pellets) with the 245gr powerbelt.

last sunday he shot an 8 point in the butt (by accident, he was aiming for the neck) that was walking straight away from him at 45 yards. not arguing the ethical shot placement, the powerbelt only had about 5 inches of penetration and once again fragmented into nothing. the bullet did not even hit bone and left VERY little blood trail. we did end up giving the buck a couple hours to bed down and hopefully die inwhich he did not.

after approximately 1 hour of tracking, we jumped him up in palmetto's and he ran about 50 yards, stopped and looked back at us. the 8 point was shot again, this time in the neck (standing in tall palmetto's and the only shot we had was a neck shot to try and finish the animal off). the powerbelt did not completely penetrate the bucks neck but did drop him in his tracks.

with these scenario's in mind, shooting powerbelts with magnum loads and standard loads with the same results. i have one more muzzle load hunt this year and no time to re sight my muzzle loader in with another load. after this year, my remaining powerbelts will be thrown in the trash and i will be shooting something different. the ONLY good thing about the powerbelts, is they seem to be extremely accurate (which is needed due to their poor bullet performance).
Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 PM
FG

Default RE: Powerbelts

100gr pellets is to much! How many times have i said that? The first person i helped out with that was Saxman when he shot a deer with the 245 and 2 pellets.

Next time take some pics so i can take a look at them and see where exactly they hit and may have come into contact with.

Use 80gr 2f pyrodex with that 245 and even the 295 and you'll be whisling dixie.

If not, send those left over Powerbelts to me as my brother and father use them on mule deer in thier sidelocks.

If you want to use a magnum load for 50 yards shot and enjoy the recoil try the 300 or 338 platinum.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry to hear of your problems with Powerbelts. I personally have never shot a deer with them, so I have no way that I can offer a suggestion to improve your performance.

Its hard to go down in powder when your getting great accuracy with something. The fragmenting is probably due to the high speeds of the bullet, but then if they do not shoot good with a small charge, they are of little use that way.

Good luck in the future hunts with them.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't believe you didn't do your homework and come up with a better bullet/powder combo for this year. I can't understand why you still go with 150 grs of pellets. This is obviously too much powder for this bullet. I howeverr have only shot up to about 95 grs in my gun. Everytime I go higher, my groups really get bad. I on the other hand am having a hard time grouping the 295 gr. powerbelts using any powder combinations. They will shoot all over the place in my NEF Sidekick. Now I shoot a saboted 300 gr STP and it is deadly in my gun.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

my muzzy has very little recoil shooting 150 grains it is comparable to my .25-06. also, i have always understood pellets have less "power" compared to loose powder. so if you are shooting 2 pellets, it is equivalent to 85-90 grains of loose powder.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:09 PM
FG

in weight maybe.

150gr loads are just to much and not needed for short range shots. A honda civic is going to impact deeper into a cement wall doing 80mph than a lamborghini doing 150 mph.

It would be interesting to see your results if you were to drop the charge down to 80gr loose pyrodex and give it another round with either the 245 or 295.

The slower moving powerbelt will offer deeper penetration.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Tried powerbelts my first year BP hunting and found out as well that they fragment. Only shoot Barnes now.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rafsob

Can't believe you didn't do your homework and come up with a better bullet/powder combo for this year. I can't understand why you still go with 150 grs of pellets. This is obviously too much powder for this bullet. I howeverr have only shot up to about 95 grs in my gun. Everytime I go higher, my groups really get bad. I on the other hand am having a hard time grouping the 295 gr. powerbelts using any powder combinations. They will shoot all over the place in my NEF Sidekick. Now I shoot a saboted 300 gr STP and it is deadly in my gun.
i stuck with this combo for the accuracy. it is extremely accurate in my Traditions Pursuit Pro. i don't have the luxery of walking out in my back yard and playing with different loads. the closest range to me is about 1 hour away and a hassle to use with a muzzle loader due to the time it takes to shoot, load and clean. it is a public range with yahoo's who just like to shoot and not sight in...if you know what i mean. with my limited time and range access, i wanted to try the powerbelts one last time with a larger bullet to see how well they performed. unfortunately the only way i can see how well they perform on a deer is by shooting a deer. the public range dirt mound is so full of lead from 30+ years of use you can not find the bullet you just shot to see how well it mushrooms and performs.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FG

in weight maybe.

150gr loads are just to much and not needed for short range shots. A honda civic is going to impact deeper into a cement wall doing 80mph than a lamborghini doing 150 mph.

It would be interesting to see your results if you were to drop the charge down to 80gr loose pyrodex and give it another round with either the 245 or 295.

The slower moving powerbelt will offer deeper penetration.
i never know what my shooting distance will be. i don't hunt food plots or designated stands time after time. i move around alot with a climbing treestand, so in the morning myfurthest shot maybe 40 yards and i'll move to another location in the afternoon to where i can shoot 150 yards. see my delima? i'm looking for a happy medium to where i have good trajectory (least amount of bullet drop) with good penetration. nothing worse to me than having alot of "hold over" on a deer if i need to shoot 150 yards. i don't like to guess in situations like that.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

CamoCop

If you have lost confidence in them then I would suggest you look to something else. FG is correct in that if you are going to shoot them then you need to drop your charge to about 80g but if you don't have confidence in your bullet then it's pointless to shoot it.

That being said, in my opinion there are MANY much better bullets out there to shoot. If finding bullets is not easy in your area, most stores will at least have some Shockwaves and XTPs. They are not as nice as say a Nosler or Barnes but they are very effective killing bullets. Also, a LOT cheaper.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I hope you find something that works better for you and you can redeem yourself.

Quick Reply: Powerbelts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.