Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Advice for a first time in NY muzzleloader >

Advice for a first time in NY muzzleloader

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Advice for a first time in NY muzzleloader

Old 12-08-2006, 05:49 PM

Default Advice for a first time in NY muzzleloader

Hey guys,

Next weekend I'll be hunting with my T/C Omega for the first time. I'm using two pellets of 50 gr Pyro and 250 gr. TC shockwave bullets. I'll be hunting Delaware county in upstateNew York. I need some advice from some of the experienced muzzleloader / black powder hunters in our group.

First off.... What do you guys do at the end of a hunt,either at lunch time orthe end of the daydo I need to unload the rifle before I drive back to my cabin (on public roads) in my car or can I just remove the 209 primer? Is just removeing the primer safe and legal?

When I hunt with my .30-06I usually leave it in my car overnight so as not to get condensation on it going from the outside cold to the warmth inside. Should I do the same with the Omega if I don't have to unload it for the trip back.

Thanks in advance for all the help ............... Joe
Old 12-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Advice for a first time in NY muzzleloader

A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when you remove the primer.So at the end of the day just remove the primer and case it and your fine.I leave mine either in my truck or in my garage because bringing a cold gun in a warm house will cause condensation in the gun thus making your powder damp.Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:22 PM

Thanks !
Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

removeing the primer safe and legal
correct I hunt with a flinter and as long as the primer charge is removed from the pan it is not loaded,I also install a flint stall(leather over the frizzen) and also run a cloth patch on a jag on the ramrod overnight so no moisture get down the barrel.
I may head up for the late m/l season but have to find out if you can take a doe with the m/l stamp on a regular big game lic: I think you can???
Old 12-08-2006, 06:38 PM

lonewolf,

I believe you can take a doe on your reg license. In any event by purchasing a muzzleloader stamp you will receive an either sex tag.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/biggame.html#Muzzleloading
Old 12-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best advice ---- BEFORE you load your gun - shoot 2 or 3 primers through an empty barrel. It makes a big difference in damp weather to start with a dry, warm barrel.

FH
Old 12-09-2006, 10:06 AM

Like everyone else has already said, it is considered unloaded with the cap off. My ML gets loaded at the beginning of open season (I rarely take my shotgun out anymore) and the only time it gets unloaded is if I am not going to hunt for a long time, say a week or so, otherwise it stays loaded all season long. I never bring it in the house once the season starts so it doesn't warm up and condense. I leave it in my unheated barn until the end of ML season.

Good luck with your new ML, and have fun! There is just something different about hunting when you know you only get one shot so you better make it count! Like I said, my shotgun started collecting a lot of dust when I got my first ML several years ago.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:52 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the helpful tips. Hopefully it will be a successful hunt. In any event I'll post the results when I return.

Joe