Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2009 spring bear hunt

Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 AM
Banned

Default RE: 2009 spring bear hunt

hmmmmm
Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have put off this post since I got home from my Alberta bear hunt on May 12th. O.K. here's my report....I sat for an average of 7 hours a day for 6 days and saw only one bear. This only bear was at least a 19 incher or maybe even a 20. I shot him at 14 yards, the arrow hit high above the shoulder and dropped him like he was spined. By the time I knocked another arrow he had dragged himself about 30 yards away and stopped behind a bush (no shot). After about 5 minutes he dragged himself straight away and out of sight. I waited until dark and got down to look for my arrow which I found broken in half. The outfitter came and decided to wait until morning to track and recover. The next morning we followed good blood for about 100 yards and got stymied by a huge swamp and thick pine that we could only crawl through. Also, we lost the blood trail. Needless to say, I didn't recover this huge bear. Well, there it is... the stark reality of being a bowhunter....I'm still sick and depressed!!!!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats hunting geronimo. My buddy something similar just tonight. I have to work at 7am, so up at 5. Needless to say I went and tracked for hrs with very little blood. I think it will be a grid search in the morning. I have to work so will be there in the afternoon to help. Rubber boots and bug spray. The stand is written off but we're gonna have to work for this bear.
Stand was right next to a swamp. Bear ran into it..... lots of water. Blood was minimal to begin with. We'll see. I hope for the best and I know the tracking job will be tough. I found fresh tracks after we lost blood but it was in some really thick alders running along the swamp, then into it.
Thats where the big boys roam around here..... next to swamps. You have to work for them.
Its now 0215 so I'm off to bed.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like Sandiland said that's hunting for ya Geronimo, best of luck next time. Easier said then done though, been there and done that on a nice bear also back In 1991 that I hit In the foot. Mine definitely lived though, a whole one Inch of arrow penetration I got. 200 yards Into the blood trail he dug up a behave In the ground, that's when we said he'll be just fine and quit the blood trail.

Good luck Sandiland on your upcoming hunts!!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Daniels outdoors

baiting and any suggestions what kind of gun i should use
It is illegal to take bears over bait in NC.
http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/...ons_Digest.pdf
Old 06-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well it was last minute thing but I went out tonight. I sat on the swamp funnel stand and had 2 dry sows come in and a sow with a cub. Funny, I thought that I saw a cub and then a Really teeny cub came in behind it. The sow couldn't have been more than 3 yrs old its cub was the size a really fuzzy cat.
One of the dry sows came from the north which a first for this stand. She walked over to the tree I was in and it looked like she wanted to join me in the tree. It was pretty intense for about 5 minutes. Cool experience tho. I just hope one of these days I get a boar following one of those dry sows.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you going to hunt anymore this month?[/align]
Old 06-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last day of the spring season is this sunday the 15 of june. I went out tonite but nothing came in. Actually I was lucky, the chord on my drop away snapped when I took a few stretch draws once in stand. I sat the whole time just to see what would come in. Weather was less than stellar to say the least. I'm hunting both saturday and sunday evenings. Its gonna be a long hard weekend and I think I need some thermacell refills. Mosquitos were relentless tonight. Without my thermacell I would have been eaten alive. On a side note the tree that treestand is hung in had been climbed by a bear since the last time I was out.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well here's the final chapter to my spring bear hunt. I saw lots of bears. Some of our party didn't hunt as much as we would have liked but it showed. The 3 of that did hunt all saw good #'s of bears. I saw only sows... one would have gone the 6' mark but I wasn't sure on the head so passed. The second last day of the season one of the new guys shot a 5' sow. It was his first big game animal with any weapon. I was happy for him. He made a perfect shot and waited for the right time to take it. Double lung and she only went 40yds. Bugger duped me into doing a firemans carry on her out of the bush. Oh well I said..... next bear I shoot you have to do the same. And mine will be a 400lbs boar!!! I was supposed to head out the next night but couldn't. My car couldn't handle the extra weight and I bottomed out. Ended up crushing my oil pan and had to be towed out. What a terrible end to the spring season.
My last night I sat in a different stand. I had a small sow on the bait when I went in and around 930 heard lots arond me. One from the east and one from the south. None of these made it in. The one in the south was downwind and took off like a bat out of heck.
I'm still recovering from my lack of sleep and from the firemans carry so I will fill in some blanks tomorrow