HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2009 spring bear hunt
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 PM
sandilands
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2009 spring bear hunt

Well here's the final chapter to my spring bear hunt. I saw lots of bears. Some of our party didn't hunt as much as we would have liked but it showed. The 3 of that did hunt all saw good #'s of bears. I saw only sows... one would have gone the 6' mark but I wasn't sure on the head so passed. The second last day of the season one of the new guys shot a 5' sow. It was his first big game animal with any weapon. I was happy for him. He made a perfect shot and waited for the right time to take it. Double lung and she only went 40yds. Bugger duped me into doing a firemans carry on her out of the bush. Oh well I said..... next bear I shoot you have to do the same. And mine will be a 400lbs boar!!! I was supposed to head out the next night but couldn't. My car couldn't handle the extra weight and I bottomed out. Ended up crushing my oil pan and had to be towed out. What a terrible end to the spring season.
My last night I sat in a different stand. I had a small sow on the bait when I went in and around 930 heard lots arond me. One from the east and one from the south. None of these made it in. The one in the south was downwind and took off like a bat out of heck.
I'm still recovering from my lack of sleep and from the firemans carry so I will fill in some blanks tomorrow