Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2009 spring bear hunt

Old 04-30-2009, 06:02 AM

Default RE: 2009 spring bear hunt

Good luck!!!

I am hoping to be getting out to start setting bait sites in my hunting area; I would have already but there is still 4 feet of snow on the ground up there...
Old 05-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

How does the full moon affect black bear movement compared to deer movement?
-

Old 05-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure Geronimo. I'm hunting tomorrow nite tho...... don't care the moon phase. Baits are hit and its time to see a bear in person. I might bwe sitting with a guy whose never hunted bear b4 just so he feels more at ease. I feel better this wasy too. That way I can see his shot and react accordingly to tracking.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to be in Alberta next week and whether the moon's full or not I'll be in a tree....
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The hunt went as planned. I sat with a new hunter and he said if a bear I wanted to take came in I could shoot first and if wasn't one I would take then he3 could shoot. Easy I said. We had a bear come in around 9pm and it took about 15min to travel the last 80yds to the bait. It came in from behind my hunting partner(Terry) and in front of me. We set the stands so that we could look behind each other and we could communicate with hand signals when bears were close by. I decided it wasn't one I was willing to shoot on the first day of the season so signaled to him that her could shoot if he wanted. It was a 5' plus bear prolly 200 or so pounds. It stopped about 25yds in front of me and 30yds behind Terry. I could see him start to shake with excitement........ the bearpositioned itself to take a #2 and then came in a few more steps. It layed down and started to groom its paws. As it stood and started to make its way closer to the bait Terry coughed...... he has mild allergies..... and the bear took off like a bat out of hell.It ran about 100yds and stood there in a thicket looking our way trying to figure out what could have made the noise....... we waited until it was completed black out to climb down and walk out.
Terry and I had a blast! It was his first ever hunt and he his hooked 4 life. He was so excited just to see a bear. I told him next time he has to take his antihistimenes...... and laughed at him. I sure am glad it wasn't a big boar...... or I would have been pissed. Anyways it was a great time and I think he is comfortable enough to sit by himself on the next hunt. I can only hope he can be a little more quiet when the time is at hand..... LOL
Ticks and mosquitos weren't that bad but they were there. I had one tick on me and got one skeeter bite.The peak is yet to come up here. The bears are moving around but not feeding to heavy so its just a waiting game. I think I'll wait till next week or maybe 2 weeks to hunt again.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool story!! Better luck next time for your friend, very kind of you to sit with him!! I've done that a good number of times with beginners, It's a blast watching them when there's a bear In front of them for the 1st time.

Good luck to you all In your group Sandiland and good luck to you also Geronimo!!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got word that my friend with cancer passed away. His name was Troy Gatlin..... of Texas.
My heart goes out to his family and friends. You will be dearly missed Troy. This hunts for you.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

here's some of our early pics from trail cams.
We went out today to regrease and bait them up for the last time of the season.... a month left so they should hold. Bears are really starting to move up here now. We checked 6 sites today and all had been hit. More pics to follow. And Schultzy...... I might need some help picking a good bear. I really wanna take a P&Y bear now, in memory of Troy. Don't worry Schultzy....... none of these early bears are worthy, although we might have 1 or 2 hitting now that are

Old 05-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sandilands

I just got word that my friend with cancer passed away. His name was Troy Gatlin..... of Texas.
My heart goes out to his family and friends. You will be dearly missed Troy. This hunts for you.
So sorry to hear that. Your doing a good dead by dedicating this hunt to him, best of luck to ya my friend!!

Great pics also!!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Banned

Gr8 pics buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 2009 spring bear hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.