Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 NW CO vs. SW CO weather cond? >

NW CO vs. SW CO weather cond?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

NW CO vs. SW CO weather cond?

Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Spike

Default NW CO vs. SW CO weather cond?

Hey guys,

Is there a big weather difference between hunting around (SW)Durango area versus hunting the flat tops north of (NW)Glenwood Springs in the 2nd week of Sept? Its like 300 miles further north and I was wondering if it is colder and or more chances of snow in the Flat Tops than compared to the southern Colorado weather. Wondering if I should prep for worse weather in the Flat Tops.
We hunt 10k or higher in both areas.
Thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Spike

Default RE: NW CO vs. SW CO weather cond?

There's not that much difference, but it'sprobably a little cooler up north with a little better chance of snow. Either way,rain or snow at higher elevations can make youcold, wet and miserable if you're not ready. I've baked and froze in both places in Sept,you just never know what you'll get for sure. Probablycool nights and warm days,but a weather system could produce rain/hail/snow.Snowrarely stays around long before itmelts out that time of year at either location. If you're well prepared for one, you'll be fine at the other.

We're in the midst of the coolest, wettest June in a long time, after an extremely warm and dry May, snowpack came off nearly a month early this year, you just never know.......
Old 06-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: greatplains

There's not that much difference, but it'sprobably a little cooler up north with a little better chance of snow. Either way,rain or snow at higher elevations can make youcold, wet and miserable if you're not ready. I've baked and froze in both places in Sept,you just never know what you'll get for sure. Probablycool nights and warm days,but a weather system could produce rain/hail/snow.Snowrarely stays around long before itmelts out that time of year at either location. If you're well prepared for one, you'll be fine at the other.

We're in the midst of the coolest, wettest June in a long time, after an extremely warm and dry May, snowpack came off nearly a month early this year, you just never know.......
X2 Good response greatplains!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alot will have to do with what season you go but late Sept. you could be at either extreme. In CO always plan for the absolute worse weather and be happy if its nice. The last couple of years SW CO has been pounded by heavy snows with totals in places of over 30 feet for the year. Thus the herds numbers are down and slow to recover. The flat tops, at least where I've hunted between Silt and Buford were quite passable even late into the 3 rd season.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Spike

Thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted flat tops (first season) and it usually snowed ,one year it snowed 11 days, horses had a hard time? I hunted SW and never seen snow.
RC
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah I have been hunting the Flattops since 1995 have seen it all in that same time of year . You could get anything from snow hail warm wet and dry weather always did they best when it was a dry year . The year the fire was in
unit 12 was the best for our group killed 2 bulls 2 cows (one bull 320). Always can get into elk seems like.

Good luck !!

Shane
Old 06-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Spike

Has anyone ever hunted around the Turret Peak or Sheep Mountain area?