HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2009 spring bear hunt
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Geronimo
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2009 spring bear hunt

I have put off this post since I got home from my Alberta bear hunt on May 12th. O.K. here's my report....I sat for an average of 7 hours a day for 6 days and saw only one bear. This only bear was at least a 19 incher or maybe even a 20. I shot him at 14 yards, the arrow hit high above the shoulder and dropped him like he was spined. By the time I knocked another arrow he had dragged himself about 30 yards away and stopped behind a bush (no shot). After about 5 minutes he dragged himself straight away and out of sight. I waited until dark and got down to look for my arrow which I found broken in half. The outfitter came and decided to wait until morning to track and recover. The next morning we followed good blood for about 100 yards and got stymied by a huge swamp and thick pine that we could only crawl through. Also, we lost the blood trail. Needless to say, I didn't recover this huge bear. Well, there it is... the stark reality of being a bowhunter....I'm still sick and depressed!!!!