Why haven't we had this argument in a couple weeks? What's up? :D:D:D:D:D" />

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270...elk cartridge?

Old 07-31-2005, 10:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 270...elk cartridge?

I have been Johnny Greenhorn but mine have dropped in their tracks or within 25 yards or so. I have never killed anything on the internet so far. I don't know what your Redneck mockery is about but on this end its gettinga bitstale old fellow. If a Johnny Greenhorn can't place his shot then poor Johnny will go home empty handed and disappointed with his 338-378 as well. No matter how much you shake it out, a good vitals hit is what kills, not the difference between the ME of common elk rifles. So my last word remains that a good bullet from a 270 placed in a good spot will mean packing out an elk. I have helped pack out quite a few besides my own. Hope you and yours have a real good season regardless of what weapon you use.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls it appears that I struck a nerve?I will just say this, all bow manufactures have a lemon or two. Out of all the archers that shoot Mathewsaround here, and there are many.I have only know one that had major problems with his limbs and he got them replaced with no questions asked. Mathews does have a excellent warrenty and they stand behind their product. I know that most of the other bow companys do this as well. As far a strings go well the best strings out there for my moneyis winners choice and I don't care what bow I own, I will put a winners choice on it. I don't like most strings that come from the factory new with the bows, no matter what manufacture. I am happy as a peach that I do own and shoot a Mathews but I don't feel that everyone else should shoot the same. I say own and shoot what makes you happy, and who cares what anyone else thinks. After all does it realy matter when you are standing over a hard earned trophywhat brand of bow you shoot? I think not!!!!
Old 07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Idaho, you know I was just keeping in with the original premice of the thread. It's not often we get to argue about something other than the .270 and elk.

Just funnin you guys.

Ditto about the strings. Winners choice is the only wqy to go. You pay extra for them but the lack of headaches keeping a bow in tune is well worth the price tag IMHO.

I hope all here are successful this upcomeing season. Regardless of what we choose to hunt with. Good luck guys!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:11 PM

Aye, that's just it old chap, and that what makes it just plain "not cricket.".

We were all Johnny Greenhorns once. Johnny Greenhorns need all the straight and complete info they can get, not just a cheerleading session. A fair number of JohnnyGreenhorns read this stuff, all the more reason to be complete and forthcoming in one's recommendations.

Complaints about the dialect, eh, but no willingness to addressin any way the(four or so) omitted cautions that responsibly accompany the promoting the use ofwhat is arguably anear-marginal elk cartridge in that "simplistic facts" and 100% blanket statement proclamation, aye?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats where we will always differ form expierence I know that the 270 is not in the least a marginal elk cartridge. Its in the middle of the pack of best choices for elk. Sorry but I have not witnessed a case where a fairly hit animal went anywhere. The 243 is legal in most states and to me its Marginal though many swear by it. The 25-06 is better but would not make my short list though people on this site have used it with good success. The 6.5x55 and 260 are my minumum comfort zone cartridges. The 7x57 and therefore the 7MM-08 have track records around the world for their effectivness on elk and even larger game. The 270, 280, 7mm Mag and 30-06 are in the perfect zone for me. I have used the 300 win Mag quite a bit and its as good as but not that much better than the 30-06. The Whelen, 338-06 and 8x57 are in the same class with a bit heavier bullet options. The 300 Weatherby and Ultra mag and 300-378 are good elk cartridges although much more than I would ever use for just elk.( personal preference) anything bigger would of course me in my same class. Close range shooting would then add the 444 Marlin, 45-70, 450 Marlin and with the right bullet, the 44 Magnum Rifle or Handgun. as many an elk has been taken with the Blackhawk and such and I have shot elk with the 44 Mag Contender..

I won't ever say its simple to get things all right and prepare for the shot but thats not the question here and many know more about elk tactics and methods of hunting than I do. But many calibers will complete the kill once you get there. Your Jargon is your choice but I feel you use it to talk down to people who don't need it. Thats your choice though. If I don't like it I will click off of it.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Your wasting your breath James, youve beaten EKM upside the head with the facts and he still cant comprehend them. Seems to think the only way you can kill and elk with a .270 class cartridge is if the thing is standing broadside at 20 yards and you shoot it right thru the lungs. After all the premimum bullets nowadays certainly wont penetrate anything more than a rib. Hitting them in the shoulder is absolutly out the question. Darn bullets will just bounce right off, leaving a brusied and slightly confused elk. EKM, Im starting to believe that you dont know jack about bullet construction. There isnt an elk on the planet that if shot in the vitals with a properly loaded 270 will travel very far period end of story. As for the Johnny Greenhorn attitude, whats makes you think a guy that is a stereotypical Greenhorn will shoot his brand new ultra mag better than deer rifle he's been using for the last 20 years? if he's such a greenhorn than he is obviously not going to take the time to learn the trigger pull and get comfortable shooting his new blunder buss. Whats the old saying? oh yeah, you show me a man with one rifle and Ill show you a guy who knows how to shoot it.

P.S. James you can hunt with me anytime, you bring your .270 and Ill bring my 7mm08 and we'll be having backstraps for dinner.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

EKM,

You gotta lighten up a bit. Johnny greenhorn elk hunter may also be Johnny ace deer hunter and deadly shot. I would hope all hunters are technically proficient with their weapons. If not than they should expect to go home empty-handed no matter what gun is on their shoulder. Good hunters can be or become good hunters, no matter what the quarry, and some very good hunters love the .270 andI'd betthat they can kill the same elk as somebody else. Crazy to think but their stategy may vary and yet, be as effective as yours.

You seem to be really concerned that some random newbie will be unjustly influenced if they hear the word ".270" Letpeople hear all the opinions and they can decide for themselves and if there is one particular newbie you care about, then you can keep beatin him over the head. sheesh.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:33 PM

Buck,
I suppose I owe you at least the courtesy of a response, even though I've been using Barnes X's and Partitions for some years now....

James and I cover the two ends of the elk hunting spectrum.
We're both quite capable of carrying on a point on point, ahem... discussion.
Neither of us, can promote our viewpoint to any excess without the other pointing out the parts left out by the other --- kind of a checks and balances thing.

The readers of the thread are left to judge and weigh the two sides for themselves --- as ultimately,mature adults willtend todo.

----deleted portion----
-------------------------------

HillBill,
Read back.
Didn't tell anyone to not use a 270.
What I did say was not to recommend it unconditionally as it is getting down towards the smaller end of what works and Johnny Ace Deerhunter may underestimate thedifferences between whacking a deer with a 270 and whacking an elk with a 270since what one can get away with on a deer one may not get away with on an elk (like shots other than picture book broadsides as a simple example).
They ain't the same critter so it ain't necessarily gonna have the exactsame result.
I'm hoping that ain't too hard.... as you say..... sheesh.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Buckshot. I lean toward the 30-06 but as I stated I consider the 270, 280 & Mag and 30-06 about perfect and about interchangable. I have never seen much difference in performance on elk size animals. Considering good hits with all of them. I was not recommending the 270 although I feel its a good all around NA cartridge. I sure consider the 7mm-08 in the same class. I have one of them as well as the 30-06 308 270 and 280. This only because I wanted to rry all of them to make my observations first hand. My rifles come and go as I have to trade if I want to keep trying other calibers. I could however make do with a 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel as my only rifle. Because my bad shoulder makes using a bolt gun very unhandy and painful though I have settled in with the 7600 Rem Pump 30-06. For good power with no recoil to speay of I still reach for my 6.5x55. A converted Military Model 96 Mauser. There are very few calibers that I have never tried as I come from a family of gun nuts and hunters.

I don't disagree with EKM's choice of rifles, I just think there is a wide range of calibers that fit the bill and don't find any of the whats referred to as 30-06 class of rifles to be MARGINAL.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

On the other hand, it has been my observation that just about any time I've seen you show up on athreadthe nature of the discussionrather quickly departs from the particular merits ofone viewpoint or anotherandquicklytakes a turn towardspersonal attacks, $hit-kicking, slapstick commentary and other mindless drivel --- soooo no thanks I need to keep the manure off of my shoes.
Personal attack? really? I never once stooped to personally attacking you. What I did say is that I find if very hard to believe that you have had any experince with premium bullets. Everything you say about .270 class weapons seems to be based on 1970s ish load data.Either that or youve been hunting with a bunch of guys thateither cant shoot, orare taking low percentage shoots.Didnt youonce say that you considered the 7mm RM a250 yard elk gun at best? ROTFLMAO. Step into the 21st century, embrace the modern technology.. Not once have you refuted anything James B or myself for that matter have said when it comes to being able to drive a barnes bullet thru the shoulders at resonable ranges (within 400 yards). I guess if you cant dazzle them with brillance, you baffle them with B.S. As coming and going, heck Ive been reading this and the other posts with great interests, if James B. wasnt doing such a good job rebutting the mindless dribble your putting forth Id post more often. But I see no reason to kick you when James gets done knocking you to the ground.One of the problems I have is you seem to think thebig bore magnums have some kind of magically power when it comes to killing game. What was your one saying? oh yeah Any angle, any time? Puuuuuhhlezzzze, so youd reccomend the texas heart shot? how about head on with the low slung head? Heck I wouldnt take those shots at a whitetail much less an elk.

Didn't tell anyone to not use a 270.
What I did say was not to recommend it unconditionally
Oh you did too, didnt you start the thread .270 No Way? if that isnt telling someone not to use it, then I dont know what is.

Quick Reply: 270...elk cartridge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.