Why haven't we had this argument in a couple weeks? What's up? :D:D:D:D:D" />

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

270...elk cartridge?

Old 08-01-2005, 07:50 AM

Default RE: 270...elk cartridge?

Buck,

** Went back and checked.
My mistake, had you crossed up with a different guy.
Amended my post accordingly.
Sorry.

didnt you start the thread .270 No Way?
To my knowledge I've never originated a thread by that title.
Even the longest thread I've been involved with on this subject didn't say people couldn't use 270's but rather focused largely on accumulating a series of points that point out the advantages of using something bigger (like a 30-06).

** Regarding shot selection and angles. It is true I prefer a rifle theaffords me the wherewithall to do what ever I want, and then it is up to me to decide what is best for any given moment and how I will execute the shot opportunity. There are plenty of shots that lie between the broadside shoulder shot and the Texas heart shot. But as is classic internet form, folks tend to swing past the intermediate points directly to the extreme in an attempt to make their point and ignore what is in between. No, I have never taken a Texas heart shot.
=========================

James,
"....I lean toward the 30-06, but....."
It is hard to believe that when we're that close, we end up this far apart.

I know, there is more you said after the quote, but what you "lean toward" and what I consider the soundminimum are the same thing --- the 30-06.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

No problem EKM, your stock just went up. Thanks
Old 08-01-2005, 10:56 AM

Whew! I guess a stirred the pot thoroughly with this one![8D]
Just to clarify, I started this thread not EKM. So If you want to point a finger, point it this way. Now, I started this with the intention of some good hearted fun. My stance: 270 will kill elk. Its not my choice in the least. I prefer a larger caliber personally. I like the added comfort that shooting a gun that is at the upper end of the recommended scale rather than the lower. My Rifle of choice is the 338 win. As long as I'm hunting big game in North America the 338 will be the weapon I carry. I just have confidence that if I do my job it will do it's. I like the security of taking "plenty of gun".
Old 08-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys show me one manufactuer that has a CXP 3 rating on the 270 winchester.Neither winchester,Federal or Big green offer a round out of the .270 that has a Heavy/Bone breaking/round for the .270 win.
I have lots of freinds that shoot 270's for elk and I don't cuss them out,cause it's better than a .243.
I don't like the .270 for elk I have seen to manyfail.I think the spectrum starts with .280 power and up.For me I like a elk round with something like 1500 ft/lbs at 500 yds.Not that I shoot that far,but if I ever wantI have a gun that can doit.
I find the 30-06 better suited for elk than the .270,and if you can shoot both of those then a 7mm mag or 300 wsm realy fits the bill.
But thats my veiw,if you are comfy with what you shoot then shoot it,but you better have the mind to pass on some shots and some range.
BBJ
Old 08-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

PMC makes .270wins with Barnes XLCs
Old 08-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

But still PMC only rates it at a CXP2 the same as winchester's fail-safe and it's accubond.I know Federal loads a Barnes x,and noslers but still they only give it a class 2 rating.So that says something about them.They don't even trust a .270 on a elk.
BBJ
Old 08-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I too like to carry plenty of gun. The 270 is one of those guns. For 45 years I have hunted elk with friend and relatives and hunting buddies. So far I have not seen a shot that I felt I was not equiped to handle with the weapon in hand. The 50 Cal Muzzle loader and 44 Mag contender have both scored one shot kills several times. In fact the fastest I ever saw a elk hit the ground was one I shot with the 14 inch TC Contender in 44 Mag with a 300 Grainn Hornady bullet at about 70-80 yards.At the boom he was on the ground and never moved. He was walking toward me as I was standing on a fire road. Although I was standing in plain sight< I don't think he was aware that I was even around. I use the same bullet in my %0 cal TC Woods rifle. I hit a cow elk with it and it broke the shoulder and exited the far side.

I have never shot an animal with the 270 using a factory load. I have not shot anything with a factory load in years except a couple times for deer when I didn't have time to reload any. I get pass throughs on elk with many different bullets. I have used the 150 grain Hornady Spire point and the Barnes X bullet and the Nosler Partition. A couple times I tried the Speer Grand Slams as well. All have performed pretty well.

If I ever see the 270, 280, 30-06 fail then I might look at something bigger again. That is of course if the failure is the fault of the caliber used. That ain't likely to happen or I would quess it already would have back when we didn't have the quality of bullets we have now. These good bullets have cancelled out any use I ever had for a bigger caliber. Good luck to all this Fall. The quality of the factory ammo now is tempting me to tapper off on the reloading. I am going to try some new factory ammo this fall and give it a chance. I wouldn't however put much faith in the hype on cartridge boxes, I have chronographed to many that just didn't come very close to their claims.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls, I hear you and agree, by the way hows the weather in your neck of the woods?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Yeah thats the ticket. Lets get an argument going. I'm bored and I can't wait for september. So, someone argue with me to take my mind off it. I'll start:

a 270 is nothing more than a over glorified pellet gun. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would even consider using a 270 on anything larger than a Prairie dog. If you are one of those no brain idiots who carries a 270 I think your hunting previlidges should be revoked for life.[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
AS long as it not against the law, I will keep on useing the PELLET gun![8D][8D][8D][8D]
I also have an A-bolt in .338 and a BLR in .358, but the PELLET gun will
do.

Those don't look like florida critters to me rebel, I know theirs got to be a story behind it and please don't tell me it was a 270.
Bobby
Old 08-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Just to beat a dead horse a bit,

I began my big game hunting where many have, in the whitetail woods. I started with a lever action 44 mag. Soon I saved enough to buy a remington 700 in 243 win. I thought I was in heaven. The 243 is a very good weapon. A lot of deer have been killed with one. No one will ever claim that a 243 isn't enough gun to kill a whitetail. Though it is lightfor the species.
After a few years of shooting deer and tracking themanywhere from 50 to a couple hundred yards, something happened. It was completely by mistake. When I was sighting in my 243 I couldn't seem to get enought elevation out of my scope. I just kept twisting the knob with no resulting elevation correction. Finally, I turned the knob and the internals of my scope (Burris probably 20years old) flew out the top. There i was two days before season with no scope. Dad loaned me a 280 rem. Opening morning I shot a decent buck it dropped after running 10 yards ( still in sight). Right then and there I figured something out...... Its better to hunt with a heavy for species rather than light for species caliber.

Now, back to the 270 debate. Will a 270 kill an elk? no doubt about it. I consider it a light for the species caliber much like a 243 for whitetail. I would prefersomething heavier such as the 338 win. No one can argue that the 270 is incapable of the task.If a 270 is what you own, and you don't want to buy a new rifle(for the life of me I can't imagine) then certainly use it. If a 270 is the limit of your recoil sensitiviy....then use it. etc. I just feel that there are calibers better suited for the job, but they have disadvantages too. For example, the 338 is a thumper. It hurts to shoot of the bench. Everything is a trade off.

Quick Reply: 270...elk cartridge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.