HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 270...elk cartridge?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 08:59 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 270...elk cartridge?

Thats where we will always differ form expierence I know that the 270 is not in the least a marginal elk cartridge. Its in the middle of the pack of best choices for elk. Sorry but I have not witnessed a case where a fairly hit animal went anywhere. The 243 is legal in most states and to me its Marginal though many swear by it. The 25-06 is better but would not make my short list though people on this site have used it with good success. The 6.5x55 and 260 are my minumum comfort zone cartridges. The 7x57 and therefore the 7MM-08 have track records around the world for their effectivness on elk and even larger game. The 270, 280, 7mm Mag and 30-06 are in the perfect zone for me. I have used the 300 win Mag quite a bit and its as good as but not that much better than the 30-06. The Whelen, 338-06 and 8x57 are in the same class with a bit heavier bullet options. The 300 Weatherby and Ultra mag and 300-378 are good elk cartridges although much more than I would ever use for just elk.( personal preference) anything bigger would of course me in my same class. Close range shooting would then add the 444 Marlin, 45-70, 450 Marlin and with the right bullet, the 44 Magnum Rifle or Handgun. as many an elk has been taken with the Blackhawk and such and I have shot elk with the 44 Mag Contender..

I won't ever say its simple to get things all right and prepare for the shot but thats not the question here and many know more about elk tactics and methods of hunting than I do. But many calibers will complete the kill once you get there. Your Jargon is your choice but I feel you use it to talk down to people who don't need it. Thats your choice though. If I don't like it I will click off of it.