Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk! >

400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Old 05-18-2005, 07:59 AM
PLB

Default RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

ORIGINAL: James B

I see your point but this one was close to home. I have perched on top of those canyons many many times and scoped out game. When its time to shoot though I can't help but look at the cover and terrain and know that if a crippling shot is made, there is no chance that you are going to work your way over to that spot before a wounded animal is in that cover. Unseen wind currents and updrafts at that range make those shots iffy as hell. If they miss then all is well but I would pass on that shot every time. Shorten that by 100-150 yards then your chances improve big time. I have shot targets at those ranges and many time the sight picture was perfect when the gun went off but no cigar. It may be true that they couldn't get any closer but thats why its called hunting. Sometimes the animal wins. Like you said though those choices will be made on the spot by the man with the gun.

I agree James, you should pass on those types of shots every time.....if you don't have the proper equipment and training under your belt.

I am reading a lot of "What if you miss", or "I don't want to wound the animal." I have personally witnessed people miss and wound animals at under 100 yards with scoped rifles. I helped a guy track a Coues buck over 2 miles because he wounded the buck and the shot was a wopping 70 yards (weapon was scoped bolt action 7mm). No trees or other vegitation to get in the way, just rocks, cacti, and ridge lines. The guy just flat out made a bad shot.

I think a lot guys here are judging the shooters in the video based on their own capapbility. I don't think that is fair, but that is my own worthless opinion. I also think that if a guy was capapble of those shots (as they obviously were) then he has simply upped his chances for having a successful hunt.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

I quess many can't see my point. In this case there is just no chance to recover that animal if the shot goes bad, and they do. anyone who has hunted much knows that stuff happens. Many here have the capability to make that shot but most have better judgement. This was an expierment that worked this time. How many critters do the loose during practice? Like I said its not the range or the equipment because it comes down to humane capability and judgement. And humans error. Cut that range back to 300 yards and its not as iffy and much better judgement. Thats all, I can't explain my point any better. Good hunting
Old 05-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

James I can see your point. I have passed up shots just because recovery of a wounded animal would have been a nightmare. He might be standing in a good spot but if you know he could go down into an impossible place it's not a good idea to shoot regardless of range.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:22 PM

I am going to agree with James. I use to shoot at 500 meters and I can tell you it is different busting a ram (metal) at 500 meters than a buck at 250 yards, if you care about what you are shooting. I can't for the life of me understand what the guys are thinking. To walk 1/2 mile in some terrain takes a long time. Just to find the elk shot at 750 yards would take some doing. I would find no joy in busting a bull or a buck at extreme range. I would have to sneek closer to feel like I was hunting instead of shooting.

Dr Fatguy
Old 05-18-2005, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: drfatguy

I am going to agree with James. I use to shoot at 500 meters and I can tell you it is different busting a ram (metal) at 500 meters than a buck at 250 yards, if you care about what you are shooting. I can't for the life of me understand what the guys are thinking. To walk 1/2 mile in some terrain takes a long time. Just to find the elk shot at 750 yards would take some doing. I would find no joy in busting a bull or a buck at extreme range. I would have to sneek closer to feel like I was hunting instead of shooting.

Dr Fatguy
I would have to say that I think that it is irresponsible. I've attempted shooting competitions at long range. I've seen the best in the world at it. I would have to say that If I had the skill of Tubb (which I do not, and apparently no one else does either) I still would not attempt the shots that these guys took. There is way too many variables involved. One minute of angle at 750 yards is 7.5 inches. Thats means a one minute of angle miscalculation in wind drift, bullet drop, mirage, anything and you're nearly out of the kill area. Thats not hunting. Thats target practice with live targets. I don't believe that they respect there quarry.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:02 AM

Bad choice of words when I said "Short Range guys".. Should have been "Anti- Long Range guys" ....

I saw an outdoors show a while back, where guy's were plinkin' a steel "Buffalo" target a 1000 yards out with every shot, using just "open sights."....... With Muzzleloaders!!!! Man, talk about luck!

Now, touchin' one off at 750 yds. on game? That should only be reserved for those who live and breathe long range shooting. That's alot of "air time" for most of us... But, to say 400 yards is the limit, or even too far to shoot at an animal, is saying alot about the shooters' own abilities and thier choice in cartridges.. Especially, with the "tackle" available to us today. Cartridge, Ballistics, Bullet choice, and Energy tell us it can be done, easily. Let your own skills be your guide. That said, I like to get close...

"Off Hand" Caribou shot at 348 yards. Bang! Flop!

Told ya' I like to get close....

Old 05-20-2005, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot 800-1000 yard targets with the Black powder 45-70 like that done in the Quigley shoot. However targets are not big game and its hard to wound one.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have posted the specs for the gun these guys were using in the gun forum. Here is the link for anyone who might be interested....

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1069003
Old 05-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

kodiman,
thats a cool looking caribou. way to go. on that whole offhand 348 yard part, you a better shot than i am, but then again im a bowhunter, and my arrow probably wouldnt have much oomph left at that range anyway

i think shooting distance is a personal thing. i konw bowhunters here who have more business shooting 60 yards than other bowhunters here would at 20. a lot of these lousy shots are the first to criticize those 50 and 60 yard shots, but they have no problem hucking arrows at 30 yards when their groups at that range are about 2 foot in diameter.

that really bothers me

brad
Old 05-20-2005, 07:17 AM

FWIW I have both kills over 800 yards with a rifle, no misses, no wounds, one took a second shot because I was not comfortable with the elapsed time and had the opportunity to shoot a second time while the animal was still standing. I also have 2 bow kills under 5 yards.

I've seen both ends and there are irresponsible folks everywhere. This gets beaten to death but if the govt would fund my survey I could prove to you that more animals are wounded under 200 or 300 yards than are past that.

Long range shooting is not for everyone. But enjoy whats shown. There was a quote about 1moa differences. If I can't judge the shot call to within .5 moa or less on every call I would not shoot past 300 yards. But its not that difficult to judge it that tight given practice. Of course I've got years of shooting under my belt and have even managed to best Tubb one time in a match. So for those that have the skill let them be. They are much better than any person that would wound a deer at 70 yards(oops did that last year somehow due to an unseen vine-- while we are at that we should outlaw non magnified scopes or dot sights or iron sights for hunting- cause if I"d have had magnification I might have seen the one vine that ruined my day...)

I'll leave with this, just in case most folks attempt a LR shot-- I"d bet that the average joe wont' even come close to a hit. Much less close enough to wound, where on the other hand you have weekend warriors that are just dangerous enough to hit the animal somewhere at 100 yards or so.

Jeff

Quick Reply: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.