HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!
Old 05-18-2005, 02:31 PM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

ORIGINAL: drfatguy

I am going to agree with James. I use to shoot at 500 meters and I can tell you it is different busting a ram (metal) at 500 meters than a buck at 250 yards, if you care about what you are shooting. I can't for the life of me understand what the guys are thinking. To walk 1/2 mile in some terrain takes a long time. Just to find the elk shot at 750 yards would take some doing. I would find no joy in busting a bull or a buck at extreme range. I would have to sneek closer to feel like I was hunting instead of shooting.

Dr Fatguy
I would have to say that I think that it is irresponsible. I've attempted shooting competitions at long range. I've seen the best in the world at it. I would have to say that If I had the skill of Tubb (which I do not, and apparently no one else does either) I still would not attempt the shots that these guys took. There is way too many variables involved. One minute of angle at 750 yards is 7.5 inches. Thats means a one minute of angle miscalculation in wind drift, bullet drop, mirage, anything and you're nearly out of the kill area. Thats not hunting. Thats target practice with live targets. I don't believe that they respect there quarry.