Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk! >

400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Old 05-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Old 05-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

I've posted links to their site before when asked. Just wanted to say that I probably won't ever take a shot at those distances but I admire that they stress practice and equipment. If I had one of those scopes where I could dial the distance and had a range finder, I could possibly learn to shoot out to 500 yds. I don't have that kind of money or desire to do it. I do enjoy their show and respect the fact that they aren't out there blazing away with no experience at it. I like to get close enough to smell them and that is how I like to hunt. We are all hunters and to each his own...
Old 05-20-2005, 02:15 PM
PLB

Rost and Ridge Runner,

I'd be willing to bet that the "Anti-long rangers" or the people here that think they have a higher moral value than the "Long rang shooters" have absolutly no idea what your talking about. You might as well be speaking (typing actually) another language. I'd also be willing to bet that the majority of "Anti's" don't care to understand ballistics. The majority of hunter's I know, zero their rifles at 100 yards at the local range (i.e. 2000 ft. elevation and 80-110 deg temp) and wonder why they missed their deer or elk at 200-300 yards (elevation >8000 ft. and temps around 30-40 degrees). I know some of them think that I'm just anal with with my rifles.

I guess they are entitled to their oppinions.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I quess expierence might help some. I have however some some real expierenced hitters strike out. If you are swinging a ball though it doesn't matter if you miss by just a tad. Shato said it best, Its target practice at live targets. If they do this a lot then nobody on earth is going to tell me that there are no misques. Of course they can erase that one and go try it again. After all it takes little skill to get within 600-800 yards from an animal.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PLB

The majority of hunter's I know, zero their rifles at 100 yards at the local range (i.e. 2000 ft. elevation and 80-110 deg temp) and wonder why they missed their deer or elk at 200-300 yards (elevation >8000 ft. and temps around 30-40 degrees).

That may be a true statement but we've had many discussions on this board about ballistics. I can say the majority of people on this board understand that temperature and elevation change a bullets POI. Heck us simple minded rednecks have even talked about trajectory changes when shooting at steep uphill and downhill angles. Now most of us don't have the equipment or money to buy the kind of equipment that goes into being accurate at long ranges and that's the reason most of us pass on a 800 yd shot. Not because we don't understand the factors but simply because a out of the box Remington 700 BDL in a 7mm Rem Mag topped with Nikon 3-9 X 40 isn't the right tool and that's the reason for the moral discussion. Kind of like trying to use a sword to do surgery.

You guys that can do it and have the equipment, more power to you.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

They show around 15-20 kills on that video with great shots, but they forgot to add the 100 shots that missed the animals....
Old 05-20-2005, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: PLB
The majority of hunter's I know, zero their rifles at 100 yards at the local range (i.e. 2000 ft. elevation and 80-110 deg temp) and wonder why they missed their deer or elk at 200-300 yards (elevation >8000 ft. and temps around 30-40 degrees). I know some of them think that I'm just anal with with my rifles.
I'm with you here and with the message below about not enough ballistics discussion... Anyhow..

I'm a gun nut, ballistics nut and a freak about things like this. These "long range legends" in the videos intrigued me, but I have to say they are pushing the envelope IMO. I personally have a range of 600 yds. I won't shoot above it. In my personal shoot testing, practice, etc.. over and over and over, I've found you lose so much control of the elements around you at 600+. Even 400-600 it gets iffy, but the margin of error is still in the OK to shoot window for me.

For the record, I personally own a Remington Model 700, 7mm RUM, 26" barrel bought over the counter (sighted in at zero is 300), over the counter 3x9 Leupold. It has had some gunsmithing (barrel reseating), but none that makes it "special" or "custom" and I obviously shoot hand loads. IMO the 7mm ballistics, combined with knock down power at long range make it the perfect long range gun for big game. Also, I was taught to shoot at that distance by my father, who I respect and I was taught properly.

Overall, I feel these guys are little "out there" (no pun intended) and I feel an average joe can learn to shoot comfortably at 400-600 yds and still be an ethical hunter. I do agree that sometimes you hit a limit to get closer, but I always try to before just lobbing one out there. I have a problem with that.

Just my lousy 2 cents!
Old 05-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

i know some hunters are fully capable of making that shot, but it isnt for me.

growing up as a bowhunter, i learned to appreciate being in close proximaty to big game animals. for me, it is about the experience as well as the kill, and i for one wouldnt get what i consider a quality wild game experience at those types of distances. i would bet a lot of these people have never been fortunate enough to be close to an elk for any amount of time, and i just dont think there seeing what there is to see in the elk woods

just my thoughts
Old 05-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ok on stepp uphill or downhill where's the shot go? high? low? dead on?
RR
It goes high. When shooting steeply uphill OR downhill, the point of impact will be HIGHER than shooting horizontal in BOTH cases. Therefore, at normal shooting distances (< 400 yards), I would hold SLIGHTLY lower on the body than otherwise.

Example: If I had it sighted in to hit dead on at 250 yards, and he was steeply uphill at 250, I would probably aim for his heart instead of the middle of the body.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:05 AM

I'm not judging them and do not think I'm on a higher moral plane, but I think they're getting a long way from hunting, although I am not the authority on where the line is. To some guys, anything more than a homemade long bow is not hunting.

I hope more and more "hunters" will spend their $$$, time, and energy setting up for these shots because it will leave more opportunities for me. Only these well, well seasoned experts are going to take game from the rest of us.

Quick Reply: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.