Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk! >

400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Old 05-17-2005, 02:21 PM
PLB

Default RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

I really enjoyed the video, largly due to my profession. I am a former military sniper and currently a sniper on the local police dept. I shoot a minimum of 4 hours a week (that is just bolt gun, not including hand gun) and I can still testify to you that there were some pretty incredible shots made in that video.

To give you an idea, our PD rifles cost about $3500.00 and then we put $1500.00-2000.00 scope on the rifle. Not cheap to say the least.

I would like to add that there is a lot more to it than a very expensive rifle, scope, ammunition, range finder, and binoculars. One of the most difficult aspects of long range shooting is wind estimation. It is not the wind speed at the shooter's location (there is equipment you can buy that will give you wind speed at your location) that is important, it is the wind speed and direction at the target that is important and being able to judge that only comes from countless hours of practice. As for moving targets, (like the carbou in the video) that is another world of problems for the shooter who now has to estimate the speed of target that will help develop the proper lead (when combined with the time of flight of the bullet).

FOR THE RECORD - I do not advocate this type of hunting for the average/above average hunter. I personally don't own equipment capable of shots over 600 yards (I can't use PD rifles for hunting and I would want a different calibur for big game), and I would not take such a shot. The longest shot I have ever taken was 365 yards on Coues buck. I could not get any closer or I would have, but for me, and I speak for myself, a 365 yard shot is fairly easy, due to my former training and current training program. As many of you have already stated, I enjoy getting as close as possible. I really and truely enjoy the stalk.

I personally enjoyed watching the skill of the shooter over the skill of the hunter in this particular video.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:58 PM

Default RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

I thought it was a very good video, true professionals. To shoot a animal at that distance speaks for it's self. I would have a hard time finding it after the shot and I'd be doing good to hit the mountain on the other side let alone a animal. I guess thats why I bow hunt .
Old 05-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for posting this Jason. Pretty cool to watch. On a side note I would agree that this is not an ametuer shot and only the pro's should be doing this. Doesn't mean 400 is the "majic" limit though either.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:50 PM

I have seen "The Best of the West", and it is my favorite TV hunting show. Fair chase is the only way to hunt for any animal. These guys are at another level when it comes to hunting. The thing that I appreciate about these guys is the fact that they are stressing the IMPORTANCE of practice and taking the animal HUMANELY. I do believe that with ample practice and equipment, you can attain either this level of proficiency or know what your limits are at specific yardages.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I saw this on the outdoor channel last week. They had quite a few sghots like that. What they will never show is the times they blow it. Look at the terain on that shot at the Elk. Tell me what chance they would have had if the shot had been a few inches off and the animal was crippled. NO CHANCE in hell. Personally it made me angry. Shot like that at dead targets is one thing but htere is not an ounce of sportsmanship involved here. They are simply expiermenting with the animal being the object of a Rombo mentality. When I learned to hunt I was taught to look at the worse case senario. Well we all know that they would not have aired this one if it had gone wrong. In my hunting I have had many oppertunities like that. If there was no chance to recover a wounded animal, I Passed.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:01 PM

I dont consider this hunting. Maby target practice on thing with a heart beat. There is not to much "hunting difficulty" involved I can't shoot x-ring shots consintly at 600 yards but what if there is a bow hunter in a tree 50 yards away trying to call in that great big elk or even a kid out on his first hunt and some fella with a top-end gun is shooting just another elk but it is good 'cuse he was at over 500 yards.

If it was a problem animal that was over populated like yotes or prarrie dogs it would be different not big game trophys.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

James B, I do understand where you are comming from, but I wouldn't say they shouldn't be shooting at that distance. I know that I couldn't shoot like that, and I woudn't shoot that far at a animal either. But then again its not my style. In 2001 I killed a cow elk at a whole 3 yards away with my bow. That is my style and even though that elk was only a cow, it will be in my memory forever as one of my best bow kills. I would bet not many bowhunters have 5 yard or less kills under their belt. Being that close takes a lot of skill and practice i.e. blow stalks, calling hangups etc, etc. So does shooting long range, I admit that I too would worry about wounding a animal at long range. But I would guess these guys don't because they spend so much time at the range and have confidence in their shooting skills. I just would hope the mistakes made are on the range and not in actual hunting experience. I would hope that if they do screw up, cripple and loose a animal that they would fess up and tell about it too. But I wouldn't hold my breath for it either. Again I only posted it to show everyone not to judge on the right or wrong of it!

rather_be_huntin, Chris how are you doing? I have been very busy but still check in here from time to time. Are you planing to come to Idaho any at all this summer for photos? I will be in SLC again in august for our son doctors appointment. Maybe we could hook up again and go scouting/photo taking or do something else in the mountains with in a hour of the city?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I see your point but this one was close to home. I have perched on top of those canyons many many times and scoped out game. When its time to shoot though I can't help but look at the cover and terrain and know that if a crippling shot is made, there is no chance that you are going to work your way over to that spot before a wounded animal is in that cover. Unseen wind currents and updrafts at that range make those shots iffy as hell. If they miss then all is well but I would pass on that shot every time. Shorten that by 100-150 yards then your chances improve big time. I have shot targets at those ranges and many time the sight picture was perfect when the gun went off but no cigar. It may be true that they couldn't get any closer but thats why its called hunting. Sometimes the animal wins. Like you said though those choices will be made on the spot by the man with the gun.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:35 AM

Devil's Advocate here....

Are you short range guy's sure this isn't a jealousy thing? Sure I like to get close, and I do most of the time, I try to get as close as I can. But having the confidence and skill to make the "long shots" adds to your bag of tricks, and your own confidence when it comes to shorter shots. With my Bow, I do most of my practice shooting at 40-50 yards. When I move up to 20, it feels like I'm cheatin'... Same with rifles..

Good huntin' boy's! only take the shots that feel good to you, and know your weapon... Those guy's obviously do.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know who you are calling the short range guys but I can see shots at elk out to 300 yards. Even further perhaps if the conditions are right that you can get to the animal quickly for a follow up if they blow the shot. Anyone who watches that vidio can see that this is not the case with this shot. It not the range so much as whats your plan if things go wrong? I have guided enough hunters to know that things go wrong.

Quick Reply: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.