HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/100450-400-yard-shots-elk-heck-check-out-video-has-750-yard-shot-elk.html)

idahoelkinstructor 05-16-2005 01:56 PM

400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/7minPromo.wmv

Just for the record I am not at saying I am for or against this! I am just saying with the right equipment and skills it can be done. I admit that I perfer a close shot at a bull elk, like under 20 yards with a bow in my hand. But thats my style and others like the hunters in this video have their own style of long range hunting. To each their own after all who are we to judge who is right or wrong!

Rebel Hog 05-16-2005 04:55 PM

RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Idahoelk, Liked the video. Do you think a regular hunter with an
over the counter rifle can do that? These guys had taylor made
rifles and very good equipment.
I knew a man that smoked till he was 96yrs old and died of old age.
That man was one in a 1000 smokers to live that long. Yes I have
punched paper at 1000yds, but who cares if I am out of the 10 ring.
I just keep shooting till I get them all in.
These guys in the video are great, but they are'nt the everyday John Doe
with his over the counter rifle. These guys are one in a 1000 and I
highly respect them for it. Truly what a shooter should be, the best!

bigbulls 05-16-2005 06:43 PM

RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

Those guys are simply awesome shots.

Like he states over and over in the promo...... No amature should ever atempt shots like this. You must put in the time practicing and have the equipment necessary for shooting game animals at those distances.

Guess that drives a nail in the "over 400 yards" coffin. With the right equipment under the right conditions and the right person behind the trigger amazing things are possible.

NVMIKE 05-16-2005 10:17 PM

WOW!!!! I know I'm better than average when it comes to shooting, but I'm obviously just an amateur.

txhunter58 05-17-2005 06:20 AM

I suspect that only 1 in 100 people could learn to shoot that well at at long of a distance (or could afford the guns/equipment to do it!). Power to them, but I certainly wouldn't do it, and I hope it doensn't encourage average shooters to try longer shots.

hunter9022 05-17-2005 09:16 AM

Those are some great shots, but i dont really see the fun in shooting a deer at 1000 yards. Maybe groundhogs or coyotes(not saying they are less of an animal, just different situation in my head). But a deer, i thought it was suppose to be how close you could get. Guess thast why i like bowhuntin better. Those are some absolutely amazing shots though. I know i couldnt make them.

Western MA Hunter 05-17-2005 09:50 AM

That's nuts. I agree w/ hunter9022.. that's too far and would take the fun out of it. BUT, it is amazing how good those guys are. I would never even attempt those shots. They are great marksmen!

Roskoe 05-17-2005 10:41 AM

I saw the full length video on this a few months back - the guy that "stars" in the video is, I understand, a gunsmith. I recognize the rifle as a tuned-up Remington with a McMillan "A" series stock. Does anyone know what caliber/bullet he is using. I heard, second hand, that it was a 7 RUM using Barnes X bullets. Looks like he is going for the high shoulder shot, which is a good plan - but it makes the target even smaller. Pretty impressive . . . . My personal limit on this stuff is 600 yards, under ideal conditions.

BareBack Jack 05-17-2005 10:44 AM

Yeah so much for the stalk.

Those guys are some good shots.

bearklr 05-17-2005 10:52 AM

hunter9022, i see what you are saying and for me as well, studying and getting close to deer is the fun part. However, everyone has different ideas of what they consider fun. Maybe for these individuals they enjoy building and tuning the guns themselves and take pride in knowing they have developed a skill few others can match. Then, when they harvest an animal with something they built and perfected themselves it's just as rewarding as if you and I stalked within 30 yards of a nice buck. Everyone's different and we all enjoy different things. I know I for one wish I could tune and shoot a rifle as well as these guys.:);)