HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:59 AM
PLB

Default RE: 400 Yard shots at elk? Heck with that check out this video that has a 750 yard shot at a elk!

ORIGINAL: James B

I see your point but this one was close to home. I have perched on top of those canyons many many times and scoped out game. When its time to shoot though I can't help but look at the cover and terrain and know that if a crippling shot is made, there is no chance that you are going to work your way over to that spot before a wounded animal is in that cover. Unseen wind currents and updrafts at that range make those shots iffy as hell. If they miss then all is well but I would pass on that shot every time. Shorten that by 100-150 yards then your chances improve big time. I have shot targets at those ranges and many time the sight picture was perfect when the gun went off but no cigar. It may be true that they couldn't get any closer but thats why its called hunting. Sometimes the animal wins. Like you said though those choices will be made on the spot by the man with the gun.

I agree James, you should pass on those types of shots every time.....if you don't have the proper equipment and training under your belt.

I am reading a lot of "What if you miss", or "I don't want to wound the animal." I have personally witnessed people miss and wound animals at under 100 yards with scoped rifles. I helped a guy track a Coues buck over 2 miles because he wounded the buck and the shot was a wopping 70 yards (weapon was scoped bolt action 7mm). No trees or other vegitation to get in the way, just rocks, cacti, and ridge lines. The guy just flat out made a bad shot.

I think a lot guys here are judging the shooters in the video based on their own capapbility. I don't think that is fair, but that is my own worthless opinion. I also think that if a guy was capapble of those shots (as they obviously were) then he has simply upped his chances for having a successful hunt.