Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck Forage Oats

Old 10-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buck Forage Oats

I am researching doing a couple plots for next year. I have 2 areas picked out one being 1 acre the other being a 1/2 acre. I have read up about buck forage oats being very good. Has anyone planted oats before. It says on their website to broadcast and drill and cover. I dont have access to a drill, all I have is a disc and a fourwheeler. Is it possible that I could disc up the land and broadcast it and it will grow? Thanks for any help!
Old 10-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buck Forage Oats

Or is it possible broadcasting the seed then lightly going over it with my disk?
Old 10-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would broadcast it then go over it lightly very lightly with the disc no more athan an inch or so...
Old 10-25-2004, 04:14 AM

if you disk and broadcast the seed,then drag it with a pieace of chainlink fence , it will be fine. (disk ; broadcast oats and rye ; broadcast fertizler ; then drag.)
that is what I do.the only thing I do is plant regular grain oats, (Coaker227) is the brand I use. cost about 1/3 of what buck forage does.

my extention agent said they were the same oats and only had a different name to raise the price????

I know the deer love the coker,thats all I want.for them to eat them and it be good for the deer and turkey.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:32 PM

I planted 3 plots this year and all came up good. I have always heard "oats will grow on a wet rock" . Discing then broadcasting and dragging with a section of chain link fence would be optimum.

I had a situation where I had disked the plots two weeks before and the day I came up to plant, it was raining. I just broadcasted the oats in the rain a little heavier than normal and they came up great. I was hunting this past weekend and got a great kick out of watching a mature buck following a doe through one of my food plots. He was walking fast after her but not so fast that he wasn't able to grab 3 quick mouthfuls of oats as he walked through a narrow section of my plot. I am sold on their attractiveness.
Mick
Old 11-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

I planted them a couple of years ago and didn't have much luck with them. The deer preferred the clover that I had next to them.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:30 PM

We planted 1 acre of buck out it came up good and the deer seem to really like it.We work the land up and hand seeded it and drove over it and pack it down with a lawnmover.