Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Buck forage oats vs. winter hardy oats >

Buck forage oats vs. winter hardy oats

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck forage oats vs. winter hardy oats

Old 07-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Spike

Default Buck forage oats vs. winter hardy oats

I have seen and read a lot about the BF oats and wonder how they are different from winter hardy or winter-bob oats. Besides being twice the price and unavailable within 300 miles of here, what is the big difference? Have any of you tried any of the 2 " farm" brands I mentioned? By the time I pay for the seed and shipping on the BF, I could buy 4 X as much of plain old winter oats. How much better is the BF than the others or is the bag the only difference? Do they add something to them that makes them better for deer or what? I am planning on mixing the oats with winter peas in the next couple weeks so I am asking for you experiences on them.

Thanks,
Strutter
Old 07-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Buck forage oats vs. winter hardy oats

Two years ago I planted a 1 1/4 acre food plot of the Buck Forage Oats and the deer loved them. The problem was the population in the area was very high and the deer literally ate the oats off at ground level. I had to top seed with rye grass in mid Dec. to have something green in the field.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My experience with oats has been limited to " spring oats" planted in the fall as a nurse crop that did not winter over. - I' ve never tried BF oats - they do sound like they fill a niche.

Your best bet would be to try a side/by side comparison of the two - in the long run the results would pay for the experiment - (and we' d all benefit as well )

Pat - what time of year do you plant turnips - and the next spring - do you re-plant the field - or let them grow?? I' d be interested in that.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pat - have you tried Dwarf Essex Rapeseed (or canola) in a side by side comparison with the turnips? Both are brassicas, and similar in feed/protein - I think the Rapeseed is alot cheaper though.

I tried the Rapeseed once as a Nurse Crop for clover - the big leafy leaves shaded the small clover all through a very dry summer, and I ended up with one of my best clover plots ever. I wish I could say the deer " turned on" to the Dwarf Essex Rape - but they never seemed to give it a second look, as they browsed the clover very heavily.

Old 07-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]