Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck Forage oats

Old 09-03-2003, 02:04 PM

Default Buck Forage oats

I have read alot about Buck Forage Oats and the one question that I have is how well do you think it will grow in set out pines. I am in east central Alabama and I have prepared my spot to plant. Sprayed with round up , cleaned off all of the dead grass and I have put about 800 lbs of lime on it. The spot is about 3/4 acre. Or do you have some other suggestion to plant. Can' t get very much equipment into it. I have done most of the work by hand.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Buck Forage oats

I planted a 1 1/4 acre plot just out side of Troy a couple of years ago and the deer eat them up....literally. If I were to plant some more I would try the deer repellant ribbon around the plot to give it a chance to get a better head start before they were turned loose on the young plants. You need to do something to break up the ground before you plant the seed I would think. Helps the roots and will keep the turkeys, birds, rats, and all the other critters from eating your seed before they get going.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

I planted it this year on 8/3 all the way up here in the pine/spruce/swamp counry of the U.P. of Michigan. The deer didn' t touch it for around 4 weeks, but the deer have been into pretty decent the last several days. I guess in a non-ag area like I' m in, the deer had to just " learn" to like it.

The plots I planted it in were 3, 1/4 plots, created and limed 7/4, and planted in heavy rain. The oats a currently up to about 8" high, and very, very green. Looks nice, and the deer seem to be taking to them well. 2 plots were straight BFO' s, and one was an annual rye/BFO combo. We had our first frost last night, and will typically have our first accumulating snows by early Oct., so it will be interesting to see how they hold up.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan
Old 09-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Just wondering. I broadcast BFO after thoroughly disking the soil but ran out of time before I could use a drag to cover the seed. What are my chances of having a sucessful plot?
Old 09-24-2003, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you covered the ground thoroughly you should be alright, but you need a good hard rain to help seat the seed in the soil. Regardless, your plot won' t be what it would have been if you had dragged it, but it should be sufficient enough to attract the deer that are in the area.