Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Fall food plots

Old 05-05-2003, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fall food plots

OK farmers,here' s some questions for ya.What is the best annual fall crop to plant?I' ve heard good things about rape.When do I plant the crop in Central Pennsylvania and will it be ready for the deer in archery season which starts Oct 1?Thanks
Old 05-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fall food plots

I' ve heard that deer won' t eat rape until it gets a good frost. In my area (NC) I have had no luck with rape at all. It grows just fine but the deer will not touch it. Best thing I can tell you is to experiment. Deer from different areas will prefer different forages. Also, there are some forages will grow better in certain areas than others. If the deer like it but it won' t grow on your property it does no good. If it grows good but the deer don' t eat it, well, you know. Try dividing the plot into sections and plant different seeds in each. You will quickly learn what will grow best and what the deer prefer. Take soil samples. Your county agricultural extension should be able to tell you what will and will not grow. Clover is really hard to beat. With the proper soil pH clover should do well. So far I prefer Ladino and Arrowleaf. I haven' t had alot of luck with alfalfa. Most of the old farmers around here say it' s hard to get established. I' m sure there are some guys on here from your area. They will probably have some better advice. Good Luck!!!!

Shane
Old 05-05-2003, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks shane!
Old 05-06-2003, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I live in a non-ag area, and I' d never be without brassicas in at least some of my fields in hunting season. They are highly preffered for me, in my area, over clover and rye.

My favorite plantings are brassica/clover combos, with a great crop of clover left in the spring. I will do the same this year with a buck forage Oats/clover combo this fall, as Buck Forage Oats outdrew clover, turnips, MI oats, and wheat, in a friends ag-area test last hunting season.

Clover is my base for the rest of the year, but for the cold months, I like to have something else or I' ve been very dissapointed in the past.

July isn' t a bad time to plant a clover/brassica combo, but only plant with good moisture-give yourself a 4 week window, and only plant with rain, let that be your determining factor of when to plant. Now is a good time to start though, with lime and a couple of Round-up treatments before planting.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan