HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fall food plots
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Ballistictip
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fall food plots

I' ve heard that deer won' t eat rape until it gets a good frost. In my area (NC) I have had no luck with rape at all. It grows just fine but the deer will not touch it. Best thing I can tell you is to experiment. Deer from different areas will prefer different forages. Also, there are some forages will grow better in certain areas than others. If the deer like it but it won' t grow on your property it does no good. If it grows good but the deer don' t eat it, well, you know. Try dividing the plot into sections and plant different seeds in each. You will quickly learn what will grow best and what the deer prefer. Take soil samples. Your county agricultural extension should be able to tell you what will and will not grow. Clover is really hard to beat. With the proper soil pH clover should do well. So far I prefer Ladino and Arrowleaf. I haven' t had alot of luck with alfalfa. Most of the old farmers around here say it' s hard to get established. I' m sure there are some guys on here from your area. They will probably have some better advice. Good Luck!!!!

Shane