Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Turkey' s keep eating seeds???

Old 04-29-2003, 07:54 AM
Spike

Default Turkey' s keep eating seeds???

Anyone have a suggestion to keep the turkeys from eating my food plot seeds. I have planted tecomate lablab plus twice, but the turkeys keep digging up the seeds and eating them. Thanks Gabe
Old 04-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Turkey' s keep eating seeds???

We have a problem each fall with the turkeys eating up our plots. I tried hanging a bunch of aluminum plates in and around a couple of patches, but I don' t think it helped much. Someone told me to take a portable radio and put it in the patch in a piece of plastic, but I havn' t tried it yet.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys have terrible smell but they' re sight and hearing are better than a deers (as I' ve been told). The radio may work, or walk the field until the seed germinates. At least you' d only have to do during daylight hours.

Last resort; eat them. Legally of course.

Dan O.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:48 PM

Ive got a great idea. Invite me over next spring and I can take care of a few of those turkeys for you!!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 08:20 PM
Spike

Spitindrum I could take you to places where there are more turkeys than trees. Maybe I' ll post this again next Febuary. I don' t hunt the turkeys, and I don' t really mind them until they eat my seeds. We might have to take a few out.

later Gabe
Old 05-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Owl decoys in the plot would help - move it around every couple days. Turkeys aren' t that bright.

Geese are worse - they can destoy a 2 acre plot in a matter of 1 week.

Good luck
Old 05-03-2003, 08:35 AM

Let me know next year Gabe. I would be wiling to lease the land just for turkey hunting rights. Just think, then you could get your plots paid for
Old 05-05-2003, 05:05 PM

Farm Hunter, you are right about those geese. Last year they took out a quarter-acre plot by my lake. Didn' t eat the seeds, waited until it was 2-3 inches tall and did it in one morning. Came home from shopping in time to see them leave.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:10 AM

My advice. Same as Spit-n-Drums. Sounds like a two man job.[8D]
A friend of mine had a similar problem this fall. We put a dummy (scarecrow with
orange hat and vest in the food plot and moved it every day until the seed sprouted. Seemed to work good. The plot was only one acre though. We placed the dummy in such a way that it would move in the slightest breeze. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Farm Hunter; I can ship you a few Canada Geese if you really want. You obviously aren' t shooting enough of them when they fly south for the winter.

The sad thing is when I see them breeding at the steel plant that I work at. They eat and drink from some pretty noxious puddles. Just picturing who' s going to have them on their Thanksgiving table kind of makes you queezy.

Dan O.