Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

weed control

Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 AM
tf
Spike

Default weed control

I'm new at food plots, and I'm needing to know when,what, and how to go about controlling weeds in my plot. I plant peas and they did well in Spring throughout summer but I lost alot of coverage due to weeds/grasses choking them out. Any help would be appreciated. I know about round-up etc. but do you apply itbefore you disc, or after peas come up, etc.?
Thanks.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: weed control

Apply Round-Up in the spring then let the field sit 10 days to two weeks (depending on amount of plant activity) before youwork it (you want the Round-Up to make it through the entire root system). Round-Up will kill anything that is green unless it has been genetically modified. I strongly suggest you do NOT plant genetically modified seed. It may take a few years, but the Round-Up and your crop will help to cut out the weeds. Be sure to do a crop rotation. Planting the same vegitation year after year on the same soilcan result in disease.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Peas are a spring crop, mature early, and do not like heat. They will mature and disappear as the heat of summer comes on strong. If you want to grow peas, plan on a later planting of something like soybeans. Plant round-up ready beans, and weed control is easy. If you have grass in your peas or soybeans, POAST is another herbicide that will kill grass (slowly), but leave broadleaf plants alone. It can be purchased at your local coop, or online.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Round-up applied before you plant will take care of any weeds that are currently growing, as will plowing. But you will have weeds come up after you plant you will still have to deal with.

Might take a look at Pursuit herbicide.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

This works good for me,I sow oats and clover in early spring,as soon as ground can be worked,tilled.No need for any chemicals at that time.Later when oats start to produce grain heads mow off with weedeater,bushhog whatever it takes.Rake excess off so it dont smother the clover.Should last couple years,and deer go nuts over it!!! When its time to start over,spray with generic glyphosphate,works as good as name brand.