Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Apple Trees

Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 AM

Default Apple Trees

Hwy guys, I was thinking about planting crab apple trees, maybe 10 to 15 apple trees, to make kinda of a small orchard for the wildlife. I know it will be hard work, but I am prepared. Any of you guy know where in Sumner County, Tennessee I can get some trees.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Apple Trees

I am doing the same thing in the spring!! I can't wait!! I really wanna learn more about it also.. got any tips?

We have two pear tree's in our back yard that bear good fruit and you should see the amount of deer that come to get those pear's man
Old 01-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure that if you plant in spring, they get a lot of water throughout the summer. Also, protect them as saplings from the deer with wire..as saplings the deer will chew on the leaves and branches until they are nothing but planted sticks. good luck to ya, good idea
Old 01-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

anyone have more tips?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

do a search there's tons of stuff on here.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mathewshooter30---For one, its best to plant apple tress in the fall. But its still possible to plant them in the spring as long as you keep them watered often during the drought days of the summer. Also, if you plantregular apple trees (there's tons of differentkinds though),plant a crab appleor two to pollinate them.Arrange them in a way that will promote pollination but make sure you space them out far enough.You can read up on what kinds produce fruit at what time of year in regard to pollination etc..You might want to mulch around the bases but thats up to you...Also, you can use a 10-10-10 fertilizer if you want but dont use too much and wait awhile after planting to fertilize. Some people may have opposing views or other ways to do it, but this is what my grandpa taught me when I was young and I planted a few on my property this past year.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for the tips..

how are yours doing?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

got any pics?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Heartshot, Go here and read this article by Kent Kammermeyer, It is very good info. I will look for his crabapples article.

http://www.marylandqdma.com/files/Download/october%202006%20article.pdf
Old 01-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

CRAB APPLES: Need medium to heavy soils, well drained and moist, Acidic soil 5.5-6.5PH.
Full sun preferred, but will tolerate light shade, but production will suffer some.
DO NOTfertilize the first year.
Keep at least a 2 foot perimiter weed free around the saplings first few years, until established.
Provide protection from Rabbits and deer, mice.
(I use Plantskydd repellent, works great, even keeps bucks from antler rubbing!)
Use cages and tree tubes for surefire protection.
Plant at least 10 feet apart in hedgerows.
Mulch with Hay, grass clippings, it will help retain moisture.
Do NOTuse wood shavings, as they rot they will steal nitrogen from the soil.
Many ornamental crabs are persistent, which means they hold on to their fruit. This is a good thing for birds and ornamental winter beauty/interest, but not something you want from an apple that you want deer feeding on.
PRUNE IN LATE WINTER. Prune off all side branches that are not desired for permanent limbs.
BEST BETS: CRAVEN- WHITNEY- HUGHES - WISLIP

OTHER SPECIES Good for central and Northern US: SIBERIAN CRAB - SARGENT CRAB - MILL CRAB- TORINGO CRAB. SARGENT CRAB IS AVAILABLE FROM QDMA @ (800 209 DEER)

SOURCES: SPANDLE NURSERY (8005535771)
NWTF (800-THE-NWTF)

That ought to keep you busy for a while!!!

Quick Reply: Apple Trees

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.